Have any of you washed your childs mouth out with soap. For any reason?

My little girl is 4 and is HORRIBLE about putting bad things in her mouth. Such as bendaroos playdough, paper, toys, crumbs off the floor...you name it.

I am really afraid she might choke on these things. I have warned her and put her in time out....talked until I am BLUE IN THE FACE!

I have resorted to washing her mouth out with a tiny bit of soap to help her remember that if its NOT FOOD, YOU DONT PUT IT IN YOUR MOUTH!!!!

Am I am terrible mom? I am just trying to keep her safe and not choking on something!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:47 PM on Mar. 17, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I've done it for bad language before. But you're teaching her to not put things that aren't food in her mouth by putting something that isn't food in there. I don't see that working so well. Can you just keep things picked up so that its not a problem with her getting into stuff?
    Anonymous

• OH no, that is not an option with this child. You put things up, and she will find something else. she is a MESS and a HALF!!!!
    Anonymous

• My DD used to do that to, one day she had a penny in her mouth and although i got it out, I let her think she swallowed it, and I started freaking out. I rushed her to the doctor (explained to him my plan and he played along) she was so scared that she never did it again, in fact one day I was holding a pen cap in my mouth and she ran it, ripped it out and lectured me.
    Anonymous

• I would do the same if I were you and my son was doing that. Why would you be a horrible mom? It's not like you are beating her.
    Anonymous

• well i think you are confusing her by telling her not to put nonfood items in her mouth and the you do the same exact thing...also if you get an excessive amount in her mouth and she swallows it she can get really sick. soap isn't meant to be put in your mouth

jmo
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 7:11 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• No, I NEVER have and NEVER will. Putting soap in a child's mouth can make them sick. Try ignoring the bad language or sassiness, don't draw attention to it, do NOT respond. Kids that age COPY what they hear grownups say. She may not even realize that what she is saying is wrong, especially if adults around her are using the same words.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:32 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• Ok tyfry....how about reading the OP's post before giving stupid advice. Her dd is not saying bad language. She is worried about her choking on things b/c she puts stuff in her mouth.

wow!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:06 AM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Putting small amounts of soap in your childs mouth will not harm them. It's not like they are swallowing it. It's no different than when they are taking a bath and drinking bath water. And yes they do do that. I have 5 kids and each and every one of them has experienced soap in the mouth or even hot sauce. And yes it does work. My 15 year old to this day have never heard him use a cuss word. Never ignore the issue whether its bad language or putting choking hazards in their mouth. Nip it in the bud! Maybe you could show you some pictures or find a youtube video of someone actually choking and maybe the visual of it will make her think about it before she puts things in her mouth. Or show her that the things shes putting in there could have yuckies on them(bacteria) and show her pictures of that. For that age it seems like they really need to see things for themselves to understand.
    Anonymous

• so you put something IN HER MOUTH to teach her not to put things IN HER MOUTH? yeah, that's clever. See what that teaches her? It teaches her it's ok to put things IN HER MOUTH and that mom is a bully who does mean things to her
    Anonymous

• Anyone who puts soap in a child's mouth needs soap in their mouth. WTF do you think you are teaching her? Stop the cycle of ignorance.
    Anonymous