What is the most ludicrous old wive's tale you have ever heard?

The dumbest one I heard was my sister's MIL telling her that she had to take showers her entire prgnancy because taking a bath would drown her baby!!

sahmom2b

Asked by sahmom2b at 6:55 PM on Mar. 17, 2010 in Pregnancy

• That raising your arms above your head would cause the cord to wrap around the baby's neck.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 6:56 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• Hahahahah I like that one! lol

My grandmother would freak if I held my hands above my head, she said that it would wrap the cord around my babies neck.

When my kids were smaller she would also freak if my dh hung the kids upside down, she said it made their liver flip over. We use to laugh and say...." I guess the other organs are tacked down...but not the liver" lol
    Anonymous

• Well, taking a bath certainly won't drown a baby, but it IS better for pregnant women to take showers, rather than hot baths, because hot baths will raise your body temperature and DOES endanger the baby. Same reason pregnant women shouldn't go into a hot tub or a sauna.

As for ludicrous old wive's tales, I always liked the one about cats stealing a baby's breath, heh.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 6:58 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• I worked with a lady who had scoliosis and she said her back was curved because she ate bananas as a baby.

BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 7:03 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• My MIL said to give my colicky 2 month old whiskey in her bottle that it would calm her down....WELL DUH I GUESS SO BUT WHY THE HELL WOULD I DO THAT!!!!!!!
    Anonymous

• Ginger 0104... My MIL and SIL kept screaming at me all 9 months because of that one. I mean really gimme a break!
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 7:18 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• Definitely the "don't raise your arms above your head because the cord will choke the baby" one. Dumbest thing I've ever heard.
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 7:23 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• Well not fair fetched as the ones you all have posted but eating certain part of bread determines the sex of baby or having a bubble butt means a boy.If these facts worked we sure could save money on going to the doctor or for ultrasounds...lol
    Anonymous

• Interestingly the one about cat's stealing the babies breath is somewhat true, especially in cold environments. Cat's like warmth which is why they lie in sunspots or on top of CRT monitors. What can happen is the cat lies on the baby's face for warmth and the baby, particularly if it's swaddled, can't defend itself and suffocates.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 8:16 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• What about hanging an egg in your doorway to ease the pain of teething? I've never done it and all of my kids have had no problems teething. My parents say "it REALLY DOES WORK!" oh yeah sure... and if that egg hadn't been there i'm sure that the teething process would have gone the EXACT same way... Just without a stinky egg hanging in the doorway..
    MJ_BN_FE

Answer by MJ_BN_FE at 9:02 PM on Mar. 17, 2010