How often do you breastfeed your baby?

And for how long? Is 10 minutes too little?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:09 PM on Mar. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• How old is baby? By 2 or 3 months old, many babies become quite efficient at nursing. What once took 40 minutes or more becomes a 5 minute hit and run, lol. It can be startling to realize that you're not sitting for hours at a time anymore.
    Keep an eye on the diaper count. Six to 8 a day is normal.
    As long as baby is putting on weight, hitting milestones, and producing enough diapers, s/he is getting enough to eat.
    My daughter nurses about every two hours during the day and sleeps about 8 hours solid overnight.
    My son would nurse no more than every 2 hours, around the clock.
    All babies are different. :-)
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 11:04 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• feed on demand. some babies will nurse for 10 mts other for 45 mts. offer both breast . and as long as you are getting 6-8 diapers a day all is well
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 7:13 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• Toss your clocks. Never never time. Feed on demand, no matter how long or too short the period. The only thing you need to count are the number of dipes you change.

Ten minutes may be perfect for your baby, as long as baby is coming of on his own.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:14 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• Whenever and for however short or long they wanted. In the beginning my youngest was jaundice and the docs instructed me to wake him after feeding on one side since the jaundice can make them sleepy and nursing is the best way to get rid of it. I would let him nurse on one side and then change his diaper and put a cold wash cloth on him to wake him to nurse on the other side. We did this for the first 1.5 weeks, but with my second it was one her schedule since there was no other condition to contend with.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:26 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• I fed on demand sometimes it was only 5 minutes. Sometimes it was 30 minutes.
    JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 7:26 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• Yup, on demand. As often and for as long or as short as baby wants. UNLESS you are not changing 6-8 diapers in 24 hrs.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:39 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• Ten minutes may be too little or too much, depending on your baby. Those first few weeks, sometimes it's more like 25. Per side. but they always let you know when they are done by falling asleep or popping off.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 8:15 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• My daughter is 7 months and she's been a ten minute eater for quite some time now. Maybe since she was about 2 or 2.5 months old. She'll often not even take ten minutes.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:57 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• Oh, and I feed her on demand which ranges anywhere from once an hour to every 2 hours. She does sleep a good long stretch at night before waking to eat, so she makes up for it during the day.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:59 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• No. Alot of times when they are on each side for 30 mins or more, they are really just sucking for comfort and not eating. My pediatrician told me that 10 minutes on each side was fine. It really depends on the age as far as how often. When my daughter was just born it was every hour and a half to 2 hours.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 5:42 PM on Mar. 18, 2010