What does a faint line mean on a pregnancy test? I went to my doctor's yesterday and I took a pregnancy test. I got a faint line on my test. So does it mean that I am pregnant or can there be a small chance its a false reading?

johana21

Asked by johana21 at 7:23 PM on Mar. 17, 2010 in Pregnancy

• What did the doctor say?
    Anonymous

• a faint line usually means you are but its early. . .i got a faint line. for this pregnancy but it was 5 days before i was due... was AF already late or is it early?
    ColtsFan1912

Answer by ColtsFan1912 at 7:25 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• A faint line generally does mean pregnant. You started to post before and asked about waiting a week...I'd do so. The test can only get more accurate.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:33 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• A line of any sort there is a great indicator that you are pregnant. Get another test - WAIT til til the first morning pee, and do it again, it will get stronger each day and the first morning pee is concentrated. It is based on HCG levels only present during pregnancy so the line simply shouldn't be there if there is no hcg Good Luck and congrats
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 7:53 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• ps you can get a test for a dollar or two and they are just as accurate and effective as the wizz-bang $20 ones - it all is the same principal.
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 7:55 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• any line that shows faint color mean positive. pee on a test again in a few days and it will be darker as more hormone is produced.
    Anonymous

• There are false positives. They are rare but they happen.
    JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 9:28 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• My first pregnancy I got a faint line. I called my friend who is my doctor's nurse and told her I took a test and got one bright line and one faint line. She asked how many lines there needed to be to indicate pregnancy. I said two, but one line was faint. She made me go in to the clinic where I was confirmed pregnant. Of course I was shocked because surely a faint line was more of a maybe then a definite.

Congrats momma!
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 9:57 PM on Mar. 17, 2010