Too early?

My daughter will be one soon. She brings me diapers when she needs changed and she is very interested in the potty when I go. So what I was wondering is... Is it too early to start potty training her?

sopheeahsmommy

Asked by sopheeahsmommy at 7:46 PM on Mar. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's not too early, if you posted this without her age, people would be encouraging you to get started. They don't lose interest and focus if you encourage them. My 18 month old is probably going to underwear next week. My older daughter was done before 2. The secret? We just did it. We didn't buy into the nonsense of "oh, just wait until they're 3." Or that they weren't capable of using the potty. They are, but the parents have to put forth effort. Just like with any other learning process. You don't wait until your child can cut a steak with a knife and fork before allowing her to use one, do you? No. You start with a fork before she can really use it and let her practice and learn.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 8:18 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• yep too early, won't hurt to let her sit and try but she will lose interest and focus eventually. most kids are around 2 before they are ready to fully train -soon earlier, some later
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 7:56 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• by todays standards yes, twwenty years ago? NO! mothers have become lazy about potty training. pull-ups are useless. if you think shes ready put dsome big girl undies on her and stick to it. thats the key. all my moms girls were potty trained before 18 monthes. my husband and brother in law before 2. good luck
    KJ_on

Answer by KJ_on at 8:13 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• It can't hurt to try! You never know what your child can accomplish,you may be suprised. I wouldn't push it but theres nothing wrong with giving her the opportunity to do it while shes interested. awww, babies can be so smart and cute,can't they? I just love it, adorable!
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 8:18 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• If she's showing that much interest it might not be too early for her, let her try see how she takes to it, if she doesn't seem to be all that interested when you start give her a few months and try again, good luck :)
    heratyc

Answer by heratyc at 8:18 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• is she dry in the morning? my grandma (had 13 kids) used that as a signal to start potty training. also, i read a mom on cafe mom that said it is a good idea to wait until they can pull their pants up and down on their own too.
    my dd sits on the potty with her clothes on and pretends to wipe.
    you can still have fun with it!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 8:41 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• She takes her pants off and can take off her diaper. She can put her shirts on too with a little help.
    sopheeahsmommy

Answer by sopheeahsmommy at 8:46 PM on Mar. 17, 2010