What do you think if you knew someone who smoked cigs and breastfed??

I know someone who smokes cigarettes and breastfeeds..What do you think about this?? Is it harmful to her baby??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:46 PM on Mar. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• actually i heard on the news that bf when you smoke is actually still more beneficial to the baby than formula. but they mean the chemicals in the breast milk.... not actually nursing with a cigarette hanging out of your mouth. i'm assuming she smokes away from the baby.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:48 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• well yeah so was smoking while pregnant. Why not just put the cigarette to the baby's mouth?
    Anonymous

• "actually i heard on the news that bf when you smoke is actually still more beneficial to the baby than formula. but they mean the chemicals in the breast milk...."
    --

Well I think it says a lot about formula if it is recommended that a mother still breastfeeds if she is a smoker.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 8:54 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• still better than if they had formula.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:56 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• "Many of the toxic substances in tocacco enter the bloodstream and eventually your milk. Heavy smoking decreases milk production and can cause vomitting, diarrhea, rapid heart rate, and restlessness in babies. The long-term effects of smoking on babies aren't know for sure, one can safely speculate that they aren't positive. If you can't stop smoking, your baby is better off still being breastfed than bottle-fed. " From what to expect the first year. I smoked/still do and breastfed. My DD didn't seem affected(like the symptoms here) but I am well on my way to quitting!!!
    MadisonsMom0408

Answer by MadisonsMom0408 at 9:09 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• Yes, smoking and breastfeeding is better than formula, but remember the bigger risk is second hand smoke. All mothers should try to quit for their baby's sake.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 9:17 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• I was told by my ob/gyn and the pedi that they would prefer that I quit but if not it was better to breastfeed and smoke than formula feed and smoke. I breastfed and smoked and would have breastfed if I didn't smoke anyway. I had some "rules" given to me though. I was suppose to wait 2 hrs after smoking before nursing whenever possible. That was fine I just smoked after nursing the baby and it was a couple of hours before he ate again. I also had to wash well and change clothing and smoke outside of course.
    Anonymous

• Of course, quitting is best, but, it's better for a smoker to nurse then for a smoker to use formula.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:46 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• "Well I think it says a lot about formula if it is recommended that a mother still breastfeeds if she is a smoker."

Yea..that they are full of $hit! They only hope that breast-milk will counter act the smoke and 400 other chemicals found in cigarettes. They DO NOT have conclusive studies on this. Why? Because it's unethical to tell women to smoke while breastfeeding. I call a big ole B.S. to smoking while breastfeeding healthier than formula!

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 11:38 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• I smoked.. and nursed my son... he's healthy as a horse.
    Anonymous