My 6 1/2 year old is lying by telling big stories all the time!! What can I do?

My daughter is telling stories to her teacher and her friends about all sorts of things. It is driving me crazy. Even little things like "My friend was telling me all about this show at lunch today..." then I press her and it turns out it's all just a story! I just don't know what to do???!! Any advice??? Thanks!

carrieviv

Asked by carrieviv at 9:04 PM on Mar. 17, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Have a story time with where she CAN make up stories.. just tell her theres a time that you can make up stories, like when you tell someone you're going to make up a story for fun, and its called fibbing if the person believes she's telling the truth.
    MJ_BN_FE

Answer by MJ_BN_FE at 9:06 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• Great You have very creative doughter.Just have fun listening to her stories.Perception is everything
    FitKidMom

Answer by FitKidMom at 5:02 AM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Congrats on having such an imaginative child! My oldest DS is the same way. DH and I were concerned and spoke to the school counselor about it and now DS has been tested and moved into the gifted program. Perhaps your DD just needs someone to listen and compliment her on her wonderful imagination. Help her with her gift and please don't make her feel like she is doing something wrong.
    ljmcmichael

Answer by ljmcmichael at 2:28 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Theres a diff b/w Lies and STORIES.... stories are not lies... its like when you watich a movie, tv show or read a book b/c its fiction does not make it a lie its a story.

Its hard to do a distinction when we have such creative kids... my thin line that I enforce is that a lie is something that is told to get yourself and/or someone else in/out of trouble... an untruth about something you/someone else DID.
    A story is just about anything else.

My son has VERY creative stories and sometimes I've had to follow up and confirm with teachers/adults to find out what really happened .... i don't get mad a him.... (my dd too). Also kids can have a very diff. perception of things or even believe something so much that its TRUE TO THEM (just talk abut your childhood with your parents and siblings and see how much your stories match....)

I wouldn't punish or call her liar for stories...
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 11:32 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• When my youngest brother was doing this in 4th grade, the counselor told my mom to simply say, "I don't believe you" and move on. My son is doing this now too, and that's what I do. It's still hard, but hopefully they'll understand the difference between when it is and isn't appropriate to "make-believe".
    DDDaysh

Answer by DDDaysh at 12:54 PM on Mar. 23, 2010