How would you react if..

you asked someone not to pick your baby up but they did anyways?

My babies father took my DD for a walk to his moms house. Mind you, my DD does not like her and we all know that BUT HER! Anywho, he told her repeatedly, do not pick her up but she did anyways. Well, daddy brought home a screaming baby which is what happens everytime this woman touches her. I know that's her grandma and everything but I don't blame my DD for not liking her. I wish I would have went because if you are asked not to touch my child, you better not touch them. I guess he was just trying to be nice taking her over there.

So how would you react?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:21 PM on Mar. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I wouldnt have let my baby go there in the first place. You cnt do anything now. Just dont let her go back.
    Anonymous

• Grandmother or not, if my baby is uncomfortable around someone I will not bring her around them.
    Anonymous

• That's so unforunate for the grandma. I would be heartbroken if my grandchild did not like me. My son is scared of his great grandma, but I would not deny her of seeing him. One day her twin sister died. It was the only day my little 15 month old son walked up and gave her a hug.

That said, I didn't like one of my grandmothers...we never saw her and I turned out okay.
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 9:38 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• 1.) I didn't know he walked her there until after he came back. He said he was taking her for a walk. So there was nothing I could do to stop it.
    2.) She never makes an effort to come see her, I wouldn't take her there myself period.
    Anonymous

• I've had relatives who were so anxious and happy to be relatives to my young kids that they, the older relatives, were overbearing and moved to fast, too yacky .... ask mil to slow down her movements that dd needs to get used to gma on dd's terms.

How old is dd? It's not uncommon for kids to be reluctant to be cuddled by older relatives and get all slobbered over. But it happens.

it's really easy to take care of cause you live so close to gma -from now on she comes to your house where dd is in her own environment - set your rules and say it with the verbal or written invitation that your rules and dd goes to those she herself is comfortable with no ONE pick her up except you and baby's daddy -That way gma can't get jealous that other relatives except her and getting cuddle time.

But you gotta do that with everyone not just gma
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 9:47 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• She's 6 months. Her grandma doesn't make ANY effort to see her, doesn't call to see how she's doing or anything. I think she gets a vibe off his side of the family because they are all like that, a bad vibe.
    Anonymous

• DD panics every time we visit my grandma (fathers mother- the other side is okay lol) because she does the swoop and grab every single time. And every single time I end up with a panicky child- who is now 15 months old. We don't see them very often, so DD isn't used to them. I just had to explain that DD needed a little time every time she saw them before they could whisk her away and show her off. After about the third time DD had a meltdown in public and Grandma got her feeling hurt and I explained it again, she got it. Now she waits and talks to me a little before taking DD. If she hadn't listened though, I probably would make sure DD was occupied nursing or sleeping every time we saw them, or just put my foot down and laid out the rules for holding my child, which involve not scaring her. It irritates me when people don't listen to me, so I would probably be pretty peeved in that situation.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 10:10 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• why was she allowed over there in the first place?
    mrsjonzy

Answer by mrsjonzy at 10:30 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• There is nothing you can do now except tell DH that there is NO WAY this woman is to be picking up the child again. My FIL had a terrible time with all his grand children except mine for some reason. Until about the age of 3 years old they all ran and cried from him, mine loved him from the beginning though. He did nothing different with mine then the others, but it is just how the kids reacted. He respected that and would just keep trying to give them little bits of attention here and there. Let her know it is not acceptable and also let her know that if she wants to see her granddaughter she needs to come to your house. If you nicely make that clear and then stick to it then it is her choice. The child will not end up crazy or anything because she doesn't see her grandmother. I personally feel children of any age should not be forced to hug kiss or anything with anyone they don't want to.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 9:07 AM on Mar. 18, 2010