Why do people quote the Bible as if that's going to make nonbelievers suddenly believe in their God out of nowhere?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:28 PM on Mar. 17, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• lol Not to say miracles don't happen, but I think if you quote stuff that people don't believe in in the first place, chances are they're still not going to believe it when you quote it to them.
    Anonymous

• Cuz they are dumb!
    Anonymous

• I think it's a desperate attempt to gain even just ONE more person to their beliefs.
    But I still don't get this "need" to convert people. Why does any religion require such recruitment?
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 10:31 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• Because they are nuts!
    They can't see that other people may not have found the same truth. I think each person finds their own truth and should live that and not worry about other people's paths.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:31 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• Maybe it's just to show where their beliefs are coming from, maybe it's not always to convert.
    Anonymous

• Hey, they quote Ghandi all the time and now believe 'hate the sin, love the sinner' is actually stated by Jesus IN the Bible someplace, so maybe quoting DOES work!
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:36 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• It depends how they're quoting it.

If they're being kind-hearted about it, then I can tell you that has to do with "inviting the spirit."

You see, I can't convert a single person, only the Holy Ghost can do that...and talking about (or reading) scriptures is one way to invite the Holy Ghost to help the person have their own personal, spiritual experience. I've been a full-time missionary, I know it can, and does, happen all the time.

Of course the person has to be open to spiritual things in the first place, you may not be in place where you're open to any of that - so naturally, from you're point of view, it's going to seem useless and silly. I've seen that happen a lot too.
    Anonymous

• "You see, I can't convert a single person, only the Holy Ghost can do that...and talking about (or reading) scriptures is one way to invite the Holy Ghost to help the person have their own personal, spiritual experience. I've been a full-time missionary, I know it can, and does, happen all the time."

So do you think it's about planting a seed of thought into someone, and maybe they'll suddenly be open to the holy spirit? Like opening a door for them that they didn't ask to be opened?
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 10:48 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• If someone asks me a question regarding religion, my answer is not enough, I'll try to find the answer in the bible, so i'll look for a scripture. I like to back up my answer with facts from the bible.
    Anonymous

• "I like to back up my answer with facts from the bible."

I think thats the whole crux of the problem though; to you it is facts...to others the bible is just stories. So while you believe you are quoting gods truth, and facts....others won't see it that way. It's a constant circle of disagreement.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 10:58 PM on Mar. 17, 2010