What are feeding schedules for 1 year old?

My DD just turned 1 recently. She won't eat proteins and will only eat sweet potatoes or bananas so we have to keep her on formula until she starts getting her nutrients mainly from solids.

The pediatrician recommended that we space her bottle feedings and solids a few hours apart to get her to eat more solids so I was just wondering what everyone's feeding schedules are like since ours doesn't seem to work -- sometimes she doesn't seem hungry and other times she looks like she's just not interested in eating.

halobear

Asked by halobear at 11:20 PM on Mar. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Does she self-feed at all??

The "eat a ton more solids at a year old" thing is really a guideline... I mean solids before 1 are just practice so switching to a diet mainly of solids AT 1 is not always going to work out. Kids progress at different paces.

Id on't know about the formula, but I nurse my son on demand and he eats 3 good meals and 2 snacks per day .. He also drinks water after every meal and 2 oz of juice per day in a sippy. He eats a huge variety of food, including eggs, varying veges, and varying fruits..

Does she eat table food at all ? My son never had babyfood so I cannot help you there, but I would think that it's normal for some babies to not be all gung-ho about table food right away and if you just keep offering them to her by 14 - 16 months she will like them more and get more into it. Many breastfed babies are like that so I would assume many FF babies are too.

Just keep offering.
    Anonymous

• I do not think you should force the issue as stronger as the ped is suggesting, though ..

Does she take a sippy of water? Does she self-feed? I mean. If she's not self-feeding.... forcing her hand with hunger you may get results but she may also not eat enough calories and start losing weight.

I assume she's 12 months old? If she's not ready, she's not ready and you cannot force a baby like that... I think if you just keep offering the solids (offer the solids before you offer a bottle. Not the first feed of the day, you don't want her blood sugar to dip too low) and give her time to mature it'll work out fine. I would be worried that spacing out bottle/solids so much could cause failure to thrive or give her low blood sugar shakes or something.

I'd give the bottle before the solids most of the day but do not space it out.. She has a lifetime to eat tons of solids -- rushing her now is a BAD idea.
    Anonymous

• Thinking back, my son only had one bottle at bedtime by the time he was 1, I think. I can't remember how we did it or when we did it, but somehow the bottles faded away. At one point, we were doing a morning bottle, breakfast before a nap, then an afternoon bottle when he woke up, then lunch before his second nap, then a bottle when he woke up, then dinner, bath and bottle. It seemed to work well.
    sweetphoenix529

Answer by sweetphoenix529 at 11:53 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• my daughter was eating 3 meals a day at 1 and snacks but she wont eat protien either my dr said dont worry about it keep offering other foods but if all she will eat is sweet potatoes feed her that but cut down on formula if shes hungry she will get her to eat more solids my dr said formula and breast milk does nothing at a year get her on whole milk and vitamins and just keep offering foods try yogurt the yo baby is good and eggs and more baby food mine is 17 months and still eats lots of baby food but is slowly eating new things cause i keep giving it to her... or if im eating it i have her sit in my lap and offer it to her. hope this helps good luck!:)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:21 AM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Anonymous 1:21 you said your doctor said "formula and breast milk does nothing at a year get her on whole milk and vitamins "

That makes absolutely no sense and I would tell that doctor so. If the milk of a cow is needed because it is full of vitamins and other things good for growing babies and that is from another species. Then WHY is breast milk usless and do nothing after a year!? Even the WHO recommends BF for two years. There are things in BM that are living and unique that can't be duplicated, fats and proteins and sugars and vitamins, and minerals are uniquely balanced for human consumption. Formula I can understand because it is derived from cow milk (or soy) already. But, still, formula because it is trying to model breastmilk has more nutrients than cow milk for a baby that is growing so rapidly.

Other than that I agree with the other posers, offer table foods if she wants it she'll eat it.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:24 AM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Can you try mixing sweet potatoes with another food that she doesn't like so much (steamed carrots are the same color and you could just mash them in with the sweet potatoes)? Or mix another fruit in with the bananas (lots of fruits taste good with bananas!)? Keep trying new things, even if she refuses. Have you tried sources of protein other than meats? Like eggs, beans, or yogurt? As long as she is on formula, or even when she transitions to milk, the protein isn't quite as important because there is protein in both.
    As far as feeding schedules - when my son was 1 he had a sippy cup of milk at 7, breakfast (handful of cheerios and applesauce) at 8, snack (cereal bar?) at 10, lunch at 12, snack after nap (around 3), supper at 5:30-6, sippy cup of milk at bedtime. But my son eats a lot!

Answer by missanc at 8:28 AM on Mar. 18, 2010

• I just want to thank everyone for their suggestions.

Yes she does self-feed (small amounts at a time) and she loves drinking water from her sippy cup -- she does not like juice though. I snuck in a small amount in her water and after 1 sip she threw it on the floor.

We used to feed her solids first, then her bottle. But the ped wanted us to space it out because sometimes she would flat out refuse the solids because she knew that she was getting her bottle right after.

I'm just trying to come up with some sort of feeding schedule to make sure she gets 3 meals a day and formula because my mother and mother-in-law babysits on alternating days and they each feed her differently, so it's frustrating for me when I get home because this also throws off her sleeping schedule.
    halobear

Answer by halobear at 12:44 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Honestly follow her lead she'll be fine really. Food is not something to star a battle about. Sometimes babies will avoid solids longer if they have allergies or digestive upsets, then slowly increase solids naturally.

It's good that she doesn't like juice! Too much sugar. Don't worry about 3 meals a day. There is no point in frustrating you both. offer opportunities but if she doesn't want i let it go.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:56 PM on Mar. 18, 2010