7 month old and not sitting up without support or crawling

My son seems to not know how or not want to sit up on his own. He also does not crawl yet he gets very annoyed and throws tantrums at belly time now. At first he seemed very advanced at certain things but has slowed down. He was turning over on his own by 3 months yet now at 7 months still does not crawl. He does do the back crawl thing to get around so hes not totally immobile. I just do not understand why he was advanced in the beginning and now has slowed down and doesn't do much. He does seem to be lazy. He has had a series of health problems the past 2 months and I feel this has slowed him down because he was really ahead of himself early on. Should I be worried?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:15 AM on Mar. 18, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• every baby is diff an learns and develops diffenerently..if your so worried have you ask your pedi?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:20 AM on Mar. 18, 2010

• No because every time I take him to the ped it is for and emergency situation my son has a health problem and the last thing on my mind is his crawling when im frantic that he has another severe kidney infection.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:21 AM on Mar. 18, 2010

• i am sorry but also you should inform your pedi bc that could be, IM NOT SAYING IT IS, some kinda of neurological thing...and the oc should really know. why dont you just make an appointment for a check up and write down questions that you need to ask or you are wondering if its normal..thheres no such thing as a dumb question
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:25 AM on Mar. 18, 2010

• He is very verbal and alert I am not thinking along the lines of slow. Anyone else experience this?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:27 AM on Mar. 18, 2010

• well i wasnt saying hes slow..
    my daughter is six months and still wont crawl at all. im kind of in the same boat
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:29 AM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Im just a bit worried and depressed because hes been so ill on and off for months and hospitalized and every time this happened he would have to rest even the dr's told me to make sure he took it easy for a while and than something would happen again so I feel like he would of hit more milestones if all this mess didn't happen.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:32 AM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Ok you just said that hes had a heath problem for the last few months. that could be the entire reason that his progress has slowed. you should make a well baby appt, and write down any and all questions that you have and make sure they are all answered before you leave.
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 12:33 AM on Mar. 18, 2010

• My son took forever to sit alone or crawl. But within 2 weeks of starting he was walking! Babies are amazing! =)
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 12:38 AM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Crawling is not a milestone. As long as he can get to where he wants some way some how no matter how slowly, that's fine. And it also takes quite a long time to develop the muscle strength to sit up. Just give him a lot of floor time opportunities with toys near and far (pick him up as soon as he's had enough) and limit time in baby containers. Carry him in a sling too so that he can be with you and be entertained and develop better upper body control.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:10 AM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Babies learn at their own pace. While other babies have been learning to sit up, get around and play "normally", your son's focus has been to survive and get over his illness. That doesnt mean he hasnt been observing and trying to understand your movements. As long as he can get around somehow and pick up toys, I see no reason to be frantic about this. You should run it by his pediatrician just so he/she is aware. Just keep working with him and he WILL get it and then you wont be able to keep track of him!
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 10:49 AM on Mar. 18, 2010