Baby hasn't signed back?

I have been trying to teach my baby signs since she was very young-maybe 6 months old. I haven't been totally consistent, but I do the signs relatively often. I have been doing "eat", "more" and "milk". She hasn't signed back at all, and she is 12 months old. She knows what the signs mean-if I sign "eat" to her she gets excited and if I sign "more" when we are playing she will grab the toy or toss her head back if we are doing flips. So why hasn't she signed back?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:24 AM on Mar. 18, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• cause she's a baby
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:25 AM on Mar. 18, 2010

• yes and she might think its a game...just do more things to get her laughing an more into it
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:28 AM on Mar. 18, 2010

• My daughter didn't sign back until I did the sign EVERY time we did the activity. So EVERY time we nursed, I signed. EVERY time we ate, I signed and helped her to make the sign back. After that she got it really quickly. She's almost 2 and has dropped all signs but "Milk" and "eat" because she has words for everything else. She actually does say "nurse" and "eat" but she still usually does the signs for those anyway lol.

Good luck! She'll do it soon!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:39 AM on Mar. 18, 2010

• yah mine was signing at 7 months back to me but i was very repetitive and consistent but now that she is 12 months old i would just start working on her using words now. my daughter is 17 months and is behind in speech cause she just signs everything.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:15 AM on Mar. 18, 2010

• well children dont catch on to language skills, until they are atleast 18 months. She's still a small child.
    psychobilly_mom

Answer by psychobilly_mom at 2:35 AM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Honestly? Probably simply because she doesn't want to. Or, since she IS young, she may not get that you want HER to do it too.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:49 AM on Mar. 18, 2010

• I didn't start signing with my oldest until about 6 months and he didn't sign back until about 15 months or so. I started from birth with my youngest and she was signing back around 9 months old. Signing actually helps with the speech according to research and my children still sign and say many things. They have a cousin who is mentally handicapped and does not speak and we use sign with her and they talk with her all the time in sign so that may be why they still sign and speak many things. We started with milk, eat, and more, and now have about 40 signs that they do well.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:45 AM on Mar. 18, 2010