Kill the Sperm!!

Does anyone out there rely on spermicide for BC?? Has it ever failed you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:56 AM on Mar. 18, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I have never used it but I wouldn't personally use that as BC. Try and IUD and then you can have sex and not worry!
    MayMommy07

Answer by MayMommy07 at 1:00 AM on Mar. 18, 2010

• i'm so allergic to spermicide...a lot of women are....it burns and swells up my vag....OUCH!!!
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 1:09 AM on Mar. 18, 2010

• I've only used it with another method. Alone, the effectiveness rating is pretty low, by comparison, but used with, say, a condom, it's very effective. It is VERY easy to mess it up, so it's only about 70% effective with normal use (about the same as withdrawal/pulling out). If you're using the film, it's easy to not allow it to melt all the way, and the foams may not totally cover all the areas of the cervix, allowing some sperm to get through. I would not rely on this as a method. If you are looking for a reliable non-barrier method, you might look into an IUD, pill, Nuva Ring, the patch, Depo (though I've heard nothing but bad things about using Depo, including my own bad experience), or Norplant.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:21 AM on Mar. 18, 2010

• I use FAM. I love it. I can have unprotected sex with DH and not have to worry. Plus I don't have to worry about the side of effects of hormonal BC and the PID risk of an IUD.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:59 AM on Mar. 18, 2010

• I've used the contraceptive film and then something that looked like a little bullet that you insert 10 minutes before sex. We used it as our only means of prevention, but only because we were planning to have more children just weren't ready to actively try. I wouldn't recommend them though. If I didn't wait long enough after inserting them it would actually burn my husbands penis and they make you so overly lubricated it takes a lot of the sensation away... my husband hates condoms but after a few months of using these he went and bought the condoms himself. Must have really hurt his poor penis.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:12 AM on Mar. 18, 2010