Bedtime help for parents that work shift work??

My husband and I both work shift work and we have a 3 month old. I understand the need for a good bedtime (around 8-9pm) but my husband thinks that we need to try to get her to fit around our schedule a little bit more. He is wanting to push her bedtime back further (later in the evening). I am just afraid of having a child that becomes very hard to be put to bed later. We are constantly agruing about it b/c I dont like the thought of her going to bed late (even though I get home after 11pm). I just dont think that 10pm or later is a good bedtime for her. I need help from other shift work parents that have been through this. I know that her getting between 16-18 hours a day is what is needed but I just dont see that sleeping 10pm to 10am is a good sleeping habit for a baby. I just dont know what to do since we are first time parents!! Thanks for any help.

bigcountryswife

Asked by bigcountryswife at 1:03 AM on Mar. 18, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• hey i work late sometimes to so i kind of know what your going through but my daughter i always asleep by 1030. if someone can put her down before 10 it probly would be best for her because if she gets in the habit of being up that late when she gets old enough for school she wont get enough sleep. but she is only 3 months so right now it probly wont be bad but in the long run as she gets older you might want to think about making an earlier bed time ... Just my opinion hope it helps good luck!:)
    KM52mom

Answer by KM52mom at 1:12 AM on Mar. 18, 2010

• When my daughter was a baby, she kept a late schedule too. Not because of work or anything, that's just what worked best for her, and us. She's 4 now, and goes to bed at a normal hour. Do what works best for all of you.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:47 AM on Mar. 18, 2010

• A good bedtime is the bedtime that fits with the baby's natural cycle. Work with it don't fight it. If she is not tired at 8 or 9 don't bother, just wait. Skleeping patterns change a lot in the first year and don't completely settle until age 3-4.

I never "put" my baby to bed. When she's tired she sleeps. If it is night, she feeds and I leave her in bed. She signals to me when it is bedtime. The clock is irrelevant.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 2:10 PM on Mar. 18, 2010