My daughter has been recently bed wetting, what to do?

My daughter has been potty trained for about 2 yrs. But for the past month she has wet her bed at least once a week, I've told her that it was just an accident and changed her undies, and jammies. But I've gotten annoyed now.How can i stop this? I've stopped giving her liquids at least 2 hours before bedtime, and asked her to use the potty before bed time. could it be a Urinary tract infection? or just normal preschool behavior?

psychobilly_mom

Asked by psychobilly_mom at 2:18 AM on Mar. 18, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Red dye effects a certain part of your brain that controls sleep. SOmetimes, this part of the brain tells the child that they are awake and they sleep walk, other times, it tells the bladder to release, and makes the child think they are awake (hence many told "I was on the potty" dreams)... other times, it can cause seizures during sleep, and even block the brain from getting rest, causing behavior problems in children and some adults.
    bellaamore

Answer by bellaamore at 8:01 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• hmmm i would like to know this too, my daughter has been doing it also
    adriana18

Answer by adriana18 at 2:38 AM on Mar. 18, 2010

• nothing. More than likely they were in a deep sleep and didn't wake in time. My potty traied 4 year old still every so oftens pees the bed at night. We change the sheets , clean her up and send her to bed. Watch liquid consumption 2 hours before bed and have them try to use the potty right before she goes to sleep but it still happens. If it was a nightly thing then I would b more concerned something serious is going on. You could check with your doctor.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 7:50 AM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Wow this takes me back, I was a bed wetter up untill I was about 12 yrs old, yes 12. My mom tried everything growing up, we even went to the doctors a few times for testing and I think they said that my bladder was small or somthing but it you asked me when I was younger I just couldnt wake up in the middle of the night for some reason. I litterally would think I was in the bathroom going pee in the toilet and then would realize after I went that I was still in bed. Its really sad now that I think about it cause I put up with this problem for a long time and it was so imbarresing going over to my girlfriends houses for sleep overs having to ware an over night diaper when I was in 5th and 6th grade. My mom was really good about it though, she never made me feel bad for peeing in the bed cause she knew I couldnt help it and she would even started waking me up everynight to go potty and would run the sink water to help me. Then
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:39 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Cont... she would always change the sheets for me I never did it once. So try and be patient, its really not her fault and dont ever think she does this on purpouse cause who would want to lay in pee all night. I would definatly try waking he up in the middle of night to go potty and if she still wets well then be her mom and tell her its ok and change the sheets. My son who is three is still in diapers and has peed through I dont know how many times because he loves to have warm milk befor bed and I dont depive him of that. So I basically make it harder on my self then take his milk away lol but thats what us moms do we put our babys first. I now buy more expensive diapers that hold much more pee so that helps too. Oh and in the mean time you could always put her in diapers or pull ups just for the night time but I would still wake her up so she learns that she still needs to go potty and not soley realy on the diapers. GL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:44 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• If she is potty trained, try taking all foods with red dye in them out of her diet for a couple weeks...even those you don't THINK have it, check.
    MANY MANY parents find that their children have issue while sleeping and it is caused by red dye in food, drinks, meds.
    bellaamore

Answer by bellaamore at 7:59 AM on Mar. 19, 2010