Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)


What custody agreements mean what? If you are sole custodian what is expected of you to be offering the other parent compared to if you have dual custody with full access? What decisions do you have to consult the other parent about in joint custody versus sole? Do you have to agree on schools and things like thata in joint custody or is it the main custodial parent?

Yes, this is all to be discussed with lawyers at some point bu trying to get a point of reference for now... Any info welcome, opinions as well...

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 3:27 AM on Mar. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

Answers (7)
  • in sole you get to make decisions including medical. In joint you have to consult eachother.
    This is my understanding anyway, I have FULL custody of my son, his dad has nothing to do with him and wants it that way. I could take him to live in timbuck to and he wouldn't give a shit.

    Good luck.

    Answer by mommymeg03 at 7:56 AM on Mar. 18, 2010

  • SOLE CUSTODY: You are the only decision maker whether legal or medical-you only get this if the other parent wants nothing to do w the child or is extremely abusive JOINT PHYSICAL: 50/50 one week here, one week there is how it usually works JOINT LEGAL: You have to consult each other on legal decisions and medical decisions unless it is an emergency, some courts they even make you decide on religious decisions FULL PHYSICAL: One primary parent, other parent gets child on weekends FULL LEGAL: One parent makes ALL the decisions

    Answer by matthewscandi at 8:21 AM on Mar. 18, 2010

  • SOLE CUSTODY: Also there is one primary parent and the other parent only gets visitation if the Sole Guardian allows it, this type of custody is rare now a days

    Answer by matthewscandi at 8:22 AM on Mar. 18, 2010

  • FULL PHYSICAL CUSTODY does NOT mean the other parent gets child on weekends. I have full legal and physical custody of my daughter, and her father has supervised visitation every sunday for 8 hours.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:37 AM on Mar. 18, 2010

  • We are "joint managing conservators" for our son. I decide where he lives without regard to distance, and I have the sole power to authorize invasive procedures (surgeries), where he goes to school, who his doctor is, etc...
    BUT my ex has the right to be listed as an emergeny contact, and be allowed to obtain information about our son from any of those people. He gets 1st 3rd and 5th weekends, a couple hours on Thursdays, and alternating holidays, and pays CS.

    Answer by AMsMommy212 at 10:05 AM on Mar. 18, 2010

  • SO if I wanted to be the main house of residence, yet allow him to take part in some decision making and be allowed as much access as he wanted then it would be joint legal, full physical? WIth open access?

    Sry girls... My oldest I have sole custody and no visitation with and that was merited as per the judge and my opinions both so im not familiar with the other types.

    And thank yous for the insight ... much appreciated

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:55 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

  • 7:37 AM on Mar. 18, 2010 by: Anonymous::You said it yourself the child's father sees the child on weekends whether supervised or not, he still sees the child.

    Answer by matthewscandi at 10:46 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in General Parenting
17 yr old with two kids

Next question overall (Pets)
Great Dane Owner's