bankruptcy

We have a meeting with a lawyer Saturday to discuss our options. We got behind on payments and the morgage company wouldn't accept anything unless it was total balance! Have you ever filed for bankruptcy? How did things work out for you? Was it worth it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:28 AM on Mar. 18, 2010 in Money & Work

• I have NEVER had to file, thank God... but my cousin and her dh did last year, not sure which way they filed..they had to give up everything, but ended up not owing anything to anyone. My bff and her dh filed 2 yrs ago, they must have filed differently because they were able to keep their newly financed suv and financed boat...but lost everything else. They now owe almost $20000 for misc. collections things. So I have no idea how it works, just that some people walk away free and clear, and some people do not?!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:39 AM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Chapter 13 allows to keep your assets, chapter 7 does not. This website may help:

http://www.uscourts.gov/bankruptcycourts/bankruptcybasics.html
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 8:46 AM on Mar. 18, 2010

• The meeting went well, were doing chapter 13(hopefully). The lawyer said he can put off filing for 2months if need be. We needed 100% finance for our home 5yrs ago. The lawyer said we may not have to owe too much. We are just hoping and praying that it will work out for us. THANKS FOR THE ADVICE:)
    Anonymous

• I can offer you alternatives to bankruptcy...please feel free to message me here or call anytime 877-642-4812.

You can also visit my website dynastyfinancialservices.com

If you don't have to file bankruptcy, please don't!
    DFSNIKKI

Answer by DFSNIKKI at 12:13 PM on Apr. 7, 2010