How can I keep my 2 yr old in his own bed?

My son just turned two a few wks ago. I had to put him in a toddler bed about 4 mths ago. He did great for the first 2 mths now the second I leave the room he gets up and lays in front of his door and yells for me. He doesn't cry just says "momma" as loud as he can! I literally have to sit on the floor beside his bed until he falls asleep every night and at nap time. It's not that I hate this, but I do want him to be able to go to sleep on his own without me being in the room. Any suggestions?

rlhall1980

Asked by rlhall1980 at 8:35 AM on Mar. 18, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Glue him to it? lol, we had to put mine in a toddler bed by 18 months because he was climbing in and out of his crib and hurt himself several times. He shares his room with our 5-year-old, which is hard because when he does get up he has someone to play with. Eventually he got to where he sleeps in his bed, but if he's not tired when we put down he beats the door, screams and throws a royal fit. We just leave him, eventually he gets tired and goes back to his bed. I wouldn't sit outside the door and humor him though.....just let him have at and eventually he'll get the point.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 8:38 AM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Yeah - I would ignore it. My oldest did this for a couple weeks after switching to a bed from his crib. We paid no attention, several nights he ended up sleeping on the floor next to the door - after a couple weeks there were no more problems. If he can turn the doorknob, use a baby gate.

Answer by missanc at 9:13 AM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Lock him in his room and don't go back in there once you've put him to bed. My daughter spent a few nights on the floor but eventually they'll decide it is more comfortable in bed and stay there. Good LUck
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 10:06 AM on Mar. 18, 2010

• I have to be mean mommy instead of sweet snuggly mama when my son wants to do this. Put on your serious mommy voice, tell him firmly that it is time for night night and you will see him in the morning, and ask him to climb in his big boy bed. Give him a kiss, tell him you love him, and then leave. If he doesn't come out of his room, you don't go into it. If he does come out, you pick him up, firmly tell him goodnight, set him back in the bed, and walk back out. You have to show toddlers you can't be pushed into catering to their every whim just from crying and saying "mama". This is an age of exploring boundaries, and it's time for them to learn who is in charge and how they are expected to behave. Sleeping at naptime and bedtime is necessary, and you have to teach him this.
    ohbladi

Answer by ohbladi at 10:32 AM on Mar. 18, 2010