Odd behaviors in a 5-year-old

My DS has always done ODD things but it's starting to REALLY bother me as he's always in trouble for talking and not listening in school now. He has trouble looking people in the eye, following multi-step instructions & focusing on homework. Last night his homework sheet said circle all the numbers that had a zero in them, he circled the 6, 8 and 9 because they have a circle in them LIKE a zero. He does stuff like that all the time. He can also recite things backwards flawlessly like the alphabet, short words and numbers. He says when he closes his eyes really tight he can see the words/alphabet on the wall and he is just reading it backwards. He can't handle changes to his schedule, I usually bath him at night but this weekend my husband had him get a shower in the morning and he could NOT sleep. My niece is ADHD, OCD, ODD & borderline asburgers. He has days like above, and others he seems fine! Am I overreacting?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:18 AM on Mar. 18, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Sounds like he may have mild autism.

He sounds SOOOO much like my dd who is 4 and she is a mild aspie.

See to me, what he did with the numbers is a higher level of thinking, even though to the teacher its "wrong" But he made sense and really thought about it. That is totally something that my dd would do!

My dd is super smart, which can be a characteristic of an aspie. She has been reading and doing her brothers K work since she was 2. LOL. She just has issues when it comes to communication and following directions.

It took me a long time to get to the point where I looked at autism like a GIFT! yes I said gift! I changed my thinking when her Dr told me one day in her office that a lot of Dr's are autistic b/c they are so smart and not focused or worried about social things. They focus on learning and school! Then the Dr told me that she thought she herself was a bit autistic. !!!!!!

Cont:
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:59 AM on Mar. 18, 2010

• I would have him evaluated if you're worried. But I'm sure if there was something worth worrying about, his teacher(s) would have said something by now. But if you're worried, or you have any doubts, then I would get him evaluated...it may be what he needs...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:27 AM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Have him evaluated by an autism specialist. Also, have him tested for food sensitivities. Food panel rast test for IgG antibodies.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 9:33 AM on Mar. 18, 2010

• It hit me that, in the future, when she is in college and is super smart, she can decide to be anything she wants to be!!! Which thrilled me!!!

Talk to his teacher, they should be able to "flag" him for testing. But to be tested for actual autism takes a while, there is usually a waiting list.

Message me if you want to ask anything. :) He sounds brilliant!!!!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:00 AM on Mar. 18, 2010

• sounds like Asperger's to me.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 10:06 AM on Mar. 18, 2010