Anyone crochet?

I've decided to start learning to crochet. I'm heading to the craft store this weekend, but I don't know what I should get!
Any helpful advice appreciated!

P.S. - Which is better, crocheting or knitting? What are the differences?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:26 AM on Mar. 18, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I do both, but I prefer crochet.

Get some worsted weight yarn (you basic cheap-o stuff is fine for learning), and a mulitpack of crochet hooks- J will likely be your most comfortable size. I suggest you go to a hobby lobby, michaels, or other craft store and look for "Bates" brand hooks, they are FAR superior to "Boye" which is what you will find everywhere else- the shape of the head is what makes the difference. And get a couple of yarn needles. That should do until you learn your basics.

Google instructions and you will not need to buy a book.

Have Fun!!!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:30 AM on Mar. 18, 2010

• I never knew how to knit...but when I was younger, I learned how to crochet. I did it all the time. made hats, back packs, socks, blankets...it's very calming, and helps relieve stress. So personally I like chrocheting better lol. You'll have to buy crochet hooks (get metal ones, not the plastic ones) and get a bunch of yarn. If you don't know how to crochet, then you'll have to buy a book or something. I couldn't learn from a book or someone explaining it, I'm a visual learner...so I had to watch people do it for me to get it. It's awesome, I wish I still had time to do it. And it's NOT an "old person" thing. I'm 20yrs old, and I would LOVE to crochet lol.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:30 AM on Mar. 18, 2010

• I do both also :) and also prefer crochet LOL

ditto what ObbyDobbie said
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 9:52 AM on Mar. 18, 2010

• it depends...how coordinated are you? do you want something FAST or something slower.

I found knitting slower

www.learntoknit.com or www.learntocrochet.com

all the yarn brands have GREAT patterns for all abilities.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 3:00 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• I crochet and knit, I prefer crocheting because it is much faster, but there or just some things you have to knit. If I were learning one, I would choose crocheting. To start off, buy a skein or two of cheap yarn and a metal crochet hook size G, H, I, or J. When I want to learn a new stitch, I go on UTube, there are sites where you can get visual instructions. I find visual instructions to be more helpful. Good luck and stick with it, It is very relaxing to do and rewarding when you make gifts for your loved ones.
    mm24ks

Answer by mm24ks at 11:19 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I crochet and I taught myself how to not long ago, I agree with the other poster all you need is an assortment of hooks and some 4 ply worsted weight yarn. You can find endless patterns on the internet for beginners that's how I learned. Good luck and if you have any other questions feel free to contact me I will tell you what I know. So far I have made a monkey, a bear, a couple of winter hats and a baby blanket, I am currently working on a scrap afghan which is turning out to be pretty cool looking.
    dylansmom08

Answer by dylansmom08 at 3:00 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• I do both. I love the look of knit but crochet is so much faster. I'm self taught for both. I learned to knit first from a book then I taught myself to crochet from a magazine I had (with stitch descriptions in the back). I already had the hooks. My mom had 2 full sets and there were some tiny metal ones that belonged to my gramma.
    I agree about just going to a craft store and buying a cheap skein of yarn and a set of hooks and either look for instructions online or buy a book that teaches you and has patterns and then just play around with it until you get it.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:19 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• I crochet, and like it better than knitting. I am so hooked on it, that I often create 3 or 4 new things a day!
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 7:08 PM on Mar. 22, 2010