How much would you charge your Daughter?

im a 22yr young single mom who lives with my mom were gonna be making up a rental agreement and i would like some input, We live in California mind you.
Im a nanny and commute everyday i leave at 5 am and get home 7:30 pm i bring home 2200 +900 from child support im saving up for a car and have monthly expenses totaling 1400 a mo. my mom is never there and neither am i only when i come home at 7;30 make my DS dinner bathe him and then we go to bed at 8:30 so not much PG&e is being used my mom wants to charge 500 mo i think its outragious because im never there what do you think is a fair price mind you i buy ALL the grocerys tolietrees and clean everything

brandnew744

Asked by brandnew744 at 9:34 AM on Mar. 18, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I think that is a fair price. I mean if you live in an appt you will be expected to pay what they ask. No matter how many hours you are in your appt. anywhere that is a great price to live.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:41 AM on Mar. 18, 2010

• It should be significantly less than an apartment or you might as well live in one. And she should take into account how many chores you have your children do, how many times you would be helping her, etc. I don't think that sounds like too much if you each have a room there but if you will have to share a room with the kids then it is unfair.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 9:41 AM on Mar. 18, 2010

• I'd have her look at how much all the utilities went up since you moved in at have you pay the difference
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 9:45 AM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Generally the rule of thumb is 30% of income goes to housing, $500 is nearly half that based on your total income. I don't think it sounds so bad myself but I would need more details on what an average home goes for there...your mother's income etc. It's hard to say but frankly I doubt you could get anywhere NEAR any decent place in CA for $500 a month, and when you're renting you're own home you're landlord isn't going to base your rent payment on how many hours you are actually USING the home for. SO, I say be grateful that your mother is providing you a safe place to stay, saving you money and think about all of the money your mother spent RAISING you and appreciate the fact that you are now able to help her in return.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 9:47 AM on Mar. 18, 2010

• depends on what her mortgage payment/rent is for the house. Not just power being used. Water/Sewer, insurance, garbage, there are lots of things to add up together here.

If you don't like it, move out.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:48 AM on Mar. 18, 2010

• i love it we all have our own room and true landlords dont base it on the hours spent living there lol i didnt think of it that way, but i basically pay 400 in grocerys and all the house hold needs alone she doesnt contribute to any of it because she is always in danville at her bf house. i feel that my contributions are beyond enough then adding 500 on top of that ehhh not fair i dont think.
    brandnew744

Answer by brandnew744 at 9:55 AM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Get your own place.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:55 AM on Mar. 18, 2010

• I would keep it at 500..because you COULD be paying way more else wear...
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 9:57 AM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Sounds like you basically renting her home anyway if she's never there! Honestly, it really sounds like a pretty sweet deal. If it was anybody but your mom would you still think it was unfair? If you lived on your own you would have the same grocery bills, it doesn't really sound like your mom is eating much of it. You would still have to clean it, again if your mom's never there it's not like your being her maid.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 9:59 AM on Mar. 18, 2010

• I think $500. a month is a little high. When I lived with my parents during the time my DH was in SE Asia they charged $100. a month. Although, they did own their own home, didn't have a huge mortgage payment. And you are buying the groceries, and cleaning too? WOw. How much is your Mom's apartment rent?If you are there only temporarily, then she should be taking responsibility for her rent. If you are there permanently, that is a different story. WHy are your own monthly expenses so high? I don't know....I am puzzled.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:00 AM on Mar. 18, 2010