I'm going to fall over dead from exhaustion

My 6 month old will not sleep! She hasn't every really sleep alot and has never slept through the night. She hates the crib, basinet, basically anything she has to lay down in. I have tried swaddling her, propping her with a boppy pillow and laying her on her tummy. She loves sleeping in the swing or bouncy chair but I can't sit her in those anymore because obviously she likes trying to flip out of them. I have no clue what to do, any suggestions? I have tried all I can think of I have even put her in my bed, no luck. This has been going on since she was born but worse here lately. I spoke with her doctor about it, and the doc said let her cry it out. Seriously at 6 months old? So I decided I would try it, feed her changed her bathed her made sure she was happy & tired laid her in the crib she slept 10 min and woke up screamin! I let her cry about 5 min went to check on her patted her, left and she started again constantly!

mom0609

Asked by mom0609 at 10:19 AM on Mar. 18, 2010 in Kids' Health

• As long as she is comfortable, fed and changed like you say...I say let her cry it out a little longer. 5 minutes might not be enough time. At 6 months she should be getting into a sleeping schedule and crying it out might help getting her on one. Good luck!
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 10:26 AM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Have they thought about maybe checking her for reflux....or something that's making her hurt and causing the crying?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on Mar. 18, 2010

• AS LONG AS MEDICALLY THERE IS NOTHING WRONG-and you fully trust your doctor then listen to your docter, IF YOU DON'T LET HER CRY IT OUT, SHE WILL HAVE YOU DOING CARTWHEELS FOR HER-SHE IS ALREADY GETTING WHAT SHE WANTS, AS LONG AS SHE IS HEALTHY.

I CRY, MOMMY COMES. I KNOW IT IS HARD, BUT I WAS THE SAME WAY MY DAUGHTER IS 14 AND SHE IS OUT OF CONTROL, YET MY OTHER KIDS ARE DECENT, BECAUSE I LIVED AND LEARNED.

Make sure it is not pain, heart burn, infection, or anything, then yes, let her cry it out. The first few days it will be tough, but eventually she will realize you are not giving in.

KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 10:40 AM on Mar. 18, 2010

• I struggled with this too! My doctor said to let him cry it out....which is just about the hardest thing in the world. My husband was firm and supportive and we got through it. The first 2 nights were the worst...he cried for 30 minutes or maybe a little more. But then it got less and less and finnally he went down without a fuss. That was around 5 months. He is now 18 months and sleeps like a gem. He has learned to self sooth when its night night time. Of course, if something is wrong he needs me and thats ok too! IT seems hard now, but give it a try and soon you'll be more rested and can funtion as a mom and person better!
    crazy4u49033

Answer by crazy4u49033 at 11:11 AM on Mar. 18, 2010

• My DD was similar to yours at this age- she would sleep at night for a couple of hours at a time, then wake to nurse, sometimes come in bed with me, but she wasn't big on self-soothing and always had to be put down asleep, loved the swing, etc. Between 6-7 months we started training her for the crib. For a few weeks we would just put her in there for naps, usually once she was out I would just put her down and she would sleep 20-30 minutes and then wake up in her crib. Then we started doing it at night- dinner, bath, bottle, stories, songs and cuddles, then into the crib she would go. And she would cry. I would go out and set the time for 2 minutes, then go in, settle her down by patting her back or even picking her up and humming to her, then put her down, go out, set the timer, etc. The first night I probably went in 8-10 times, same with the second night, but then it got less and less, (cont'd)
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:22 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Then I would set the timer for 3 minutes. It only took about a week and I would only have to go in maybe one or two times. And after a few weeks she would sometimes just go right to sleep and I wouldn't have to go soothe her. The other benefit is that she started sleeping longer once she was able to fall asleep on her own so that just kind of happened on its own once she learned how to fall asleep, and I think as she was getting older she just didn't need to eat as much so didn't wake up hungry wither. People will tell you babies can sleep thru at 2 months, that they don't need to eat at night, etc. I think you have to decide for yourself, for me I know I could have let her cry for an hour but I didn't feel right with it. I could have stopped feeding her at night but it didn't feel right with me. Look at your different options and modify them into a plan you feel good about, then be ok with adjusting it as needed. Good luck!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:26 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Thank you ladies. I am not against crying it out by any means, but I do think there are other issues with her other then just the sleep. I'm not sure if it is reflux or what. She is 14.5 lbs and 25.5 inches long. She drinks formula (soy) and she vomits after the fact, some times it is instantly other times it could be a couple hours from the time she ate. Baby food gets her so bloated she will literally cry for hours almost non stop after eating it. I have talked to her doctor about it and she just said stop feeding her so often give her more less often. If I give her more then four ounces at a time she throws it right back up and that is after burping her very good. I have just switched doctors for her and hopefully will get somewhere I don't know is there anything I can do to help if it is reflux?
    mom0609

Answer by mom0609 at 10:10 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• bump anyone?
    mom0609

Answer by mom0609 at 11:27 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• We have a crib mobile and once my daughter started to watch it around 2-3 months old, I started laying her down in the crib and turning on the mobile. It turns off after 20 minutes. At first I had to keep going back in to turn it on and it took her about an hour to finally go to sleep, but now she usually goes to sleep within the first 20 minutes. Also at first, I would have to go in and give her her pacifier quite a bit, too, but other than that she did really well.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:42 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I should also add that my daughter doesn't sit up on her own yet, but when she does we will be removing the crib mobile. At the baby shower I got a projector thing that plays music, ocean noises, etc and then projects a movable scene onto the ceiling. I use that when traveling and will use that when we have to remove the mobile.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:44 AM on Mar. 19, 2010