Does anyone know?

My mom passed away in Mar 2009, we have to file her income taxes....I want to know if I will get the return she has coming or does the gov keep that?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on Mar. 18, 2010 in Money & Work

• It will go to next of kin. At least thats how it worked when my brother passed almost 7 years ago. We filed and my parents got his return.
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 10:47 AM on Mar. 18, 2010

• I would imagine that it would go into the estate. So if you are the only one benefitting from the estate then I guess it would be yours eventually. If there are other beneficiaries, then it would be split up amongst everyone.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:48 AM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Sorry to hear about your mom, hopefully she had a will, or signed rights over to someone. Otherwise the state takes it, unless it is in writing, that someone is the beneficiary.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 10:52 AM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Thank you KFree....She didnt have a will, she had a notary sign a paper leaving me her house and car upon her death. I was her only child, does that make me her beneficiary?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:06 AM on Mar. 18, 2010

• yes if your the only child it would be that gets the money. the irs would be able to comfirm that with their records.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 1:46 PM on Mar. 18, 2010