Nigerian scams

I think we might be a victim of a scam,my husband placed his engine for sale at ksl.com for $6000, anyways some guy emails us and says he would like to buy this engine and is extremely interested,we then sent him an email to call us on our mobile, well he never contacted us but wanted to know where to send the money so we figured well maybe he is being honest and gave him our home address. So we waited and yesterday we got three money orders totalling $1470 we also had to pay the postage of $18.00 and it wasnt postmarked. We dont have a checking account for numerous reasons,this being one of them. I would like to have this person investigated but I'm not sure how because we dont have much to go on. I twould be nice to have this person captured so noone else falls victim to this scam. Once you place those money orders into your account you pay whatever amount they get and no way to prove it was a scam to the bank.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:55 AM on Mar. 18, 2010 in Money & Work

• i'm assuming u sent him the engine before u got the money? is that the scam?
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:58 AM on Mar. 18, 2010

• No we didnt send the engine we know what this guy is trying to do, I figured it from the start,husband was to naive to figure it out he thought I was being over paranoid. I told him honey noone writes and says yea I want the engine without calling and asking questions first! I wanna get this thats doing this, he's probally got a few people trapped in this scam and I just want to help.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:03 AM on Mar. 18, 2010

• okay were not a victim yet,,he wrote back this morning and says he knows we received the money orders and is telling us to put it in our checking account! Now if we did do this we would be screwed and I'm trying to stop this guy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:06 AM on Mar. 18, 2010

• If you call you're local PD they can give you the number for the internet fraud dept. BUT, generally these people are untraceable, rarely get caught and even more rarely get prosecuted.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 11:07 AM on Mar. 18, 2010

• You aren't a victim until you try to cash those money orders and send him the engine. I would cut off all communication with this person and take the money orders to the bank and have them investigate them. Don't deposit those money orders! This happened to a friend of ours. They didn't fall for the scam either. They went to the police and basically the police told them that there wasn't anything they could do as far as trying to stop them from pulling this scam. I would think they FBI or some other agency would be interested. The banks have depts that investigate fraud though.
    Anonymous

• Go and talk to your bank. Also contact the post office. Fraud through the mail if a federal offense and maybe they can help you trace the money orders.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 10:25 PM on Mar. 18, 2010