Shams, can someone shed some light?

Do you use shams on your bed? If so, how many pillows do you have? We each like to sleep with 2 pillows, but you don't sleep on sham, right? So that means I need SIX pillows on my bed if I want to use the shams? Is this right? And these new shams I have are ENORMOUS, the extra pillows I have are SWIMMING in them, is there some special sham pillow I'm supposed to use or something? You'd think at this point in my life I'd have this silliness figured out, but alas, I do not....sigh.

gramsmom

Asked by gramsmom at 11:31 AM on Mar. 18, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I buy the biggest, fluffiest, firmest pillows to fit the sham. I practically rip the corners trying to cram them in there, but they look really nice and full once they are in! DH and I both use 2 pillows as well, so we have 6 pillows on the bed, because we don't sleep on the shams - kind of like that towel in the bathroom that no one is allowed to use! It's for "decoration"!! lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Mar. 18, 2010

• There are different sized pillows - queen, king, cal king, etc. What size of sham do you have? You don't sleep on the shams, but there are pillows to fit them. There should be a tag that says what size they are. So yes, you would need 6 pillows. I do use my shams, I think it makes the bed look pretty even if I'm the only one who sees it.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:33 AM on Mar. 18, 2010

• We have shams on our bed too. But we only have the four pillows. We flip the pillows before we sleep on them so sham is on the bottom with the decorative side down on the bed. That way our body oils don't touch the face of the sham, so they stay nice forever.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:10 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• I think shams are a waste of time & space. You throw them off at night, you throw them back on in the morning - and who sees your bed? I don't use them, obviously.
    Anonymous

• two pillows can be very bad for your neck. be careful!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 1:41 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• I skip the shams, too. I like to be able to just lie down when I'm tired. I don't need all that fuss.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 2:06 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• My entire reply was deleted, so I'll try again.
    The abridged version
    There are different size and types of shams. There are typically king, queen and standard that come with the comforter or the duvet. The size of the comforter corresponds to the size of sham, and the pillow.

There are also Euro shams. These are big square shams, that you place euro pillows in. These are usually a coordinating if not matching the bedding set.

On my bed, I have 3 euro pillows in shams, 2 king pillows in shams, and 4 king pillows in cases that match the sheets. We have a king sized bed.

twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 4:15 PM on Mar. 18, 2010