Should I switch to forward facing or stick with rear and not see him at all?

I know you should keep your child rear facing as long as possible, and at least to 20lbs AND their first birthday. I plan on doing this. That said, we have the True Fit Premier convertible carseat which can go rearfacing up to 35lbs WITH the headrest installed. Unfortunately, if I put the headrest on, I can't see my son AT ALL. It is too high and it is just impossible. I don't like not being able to see him. Without the headrest, his head is creeping up on the top of the shell.

He will be a year old next month, and I plan to keep him rearfacing until then. That said, I was wondering what others thought if I turned him around after that. He'd meet both the min. requirements for forward facing. He is over 20 lbs and would be over a year.

Do I keep him rear facing and not be able to see him at all? (much less reach him) Or put him forward facing?

ShannonMarie411

Asked by ShannonMarie411 at 11:41 AM on Mar. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would get a mirror so you are able to see him. How necessary is the headrest? I would keep him rear facing as long as I was able to see him, and take steps to make sure he's both safe and visible.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:42 AM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Leave him rear facing, there are mirrors you can hang over the head rest of the seat so you can see them safely. My little guy is 15 months and still not big enough to turn around lol!!
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 11:42 AM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Face back, there are too many cars on the road now a days.

They do have mirrors, that connect on the back of the seat.

So, you can see him through your mirror.

KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 11:50 AM on Mar. 18, 2010

• We have a mirror! He is in the center of the backseat because he touches the front seats (which is not allowed) so he has to be center. (And I have a Ford Escape so it isn't a small car really) The headrest literally blocks out all view of everything. My rearview mirror can see out the back, but even that is still blocked by the headrest so we can't even see the mirror.
    ShannonMarie411

Answer by ShannonMarie411 at 11:57 AM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Is he walking yet? Our Dr said a good indication of if their head and neck control is good enough to be forward faceing, is they can walk. Thats when they have the best trunk and neck controll. Wait till he is walking at least.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Mar. 18, 2010

• I think it is up to you, I have forward faced both my older children right at a year, I do not regret this I will probably forward face #3 at a year old. It is up to you, safety is important, with my car and 3 car seats it will just be easier to forward face, easier still makes me a little more concerned for safety but I can not buy a new car yet.
    Anonymous

• I'm not going to bombard you with all the statistical info, video's and what-not, i'll suggest you join a car seat safety group for that, however you should keep him RF. If you're driving, you need to pay attention to the road, and not him. If you're the passenger, sit back there with him if seeing him is important. A backseat mirror is a good suggestion too. You can look back while you're stopped and check on the little guy.

As for head and neck control, that means nothing as to the spinal development. Babies can control those muscles LONG before their bones are stable enough to handle the impact of a crash. Just remember that a parent's convenience should never come before their childs safety.
    Anonymous

• I turned my kids around at 18 and 20 months for no other reason than they were small and that is when they surpasses 20 pounds. It is a personal decision that I am to understand A LOT of people are very passionate about. Just do your own research and decide what you think is best for YOUR child.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:13 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• You stated it yourself "Min Requirements"... just like anything else, there has to be a minimum- but minimum should never be the standard.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:35 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• We turned our youngest around when he reached the max for his seat. He was a YEAR and 22lbs. Personally I don't feel all thr RFing research discredits the safety of FFing. Our boys seats are properly installed and adjusted correctly for each boy. I check them often to make sure they are stilll snug. With all that, they are safe forward facing.

The choice is yours. IF you feel comfortable facing him forward then DO IT. As long as his seat is installed correctly and fits properly then he will be safe.
    palexander

Answer by palexander at 12:48 PM on Mar. 18, 2010