should i take more than it says on the label??

im taking phillips probiotics. It has 1.5 billion cells, it says to take one daily, but i have extreme bloating, can someone who is on probiotics tell me how many you take daily, because i have heard people say theu take up to 4 daily some take it like the bottle says. i just want to cure my stomich and get the best benifits, i will also be starting digestive enzymes

dkej242

Asked by dkej242 at 11:58 AM on Mar. 18, 2010 in Health

• ok, i would go to a healthfood store and get a probiotic form the refrigerator...it should come in a brown bottle. it would not be harmful to take more than one a day if that is what you are taking...the phillips is made by bayer...i am not sure what the ingredients are in it. i would also make sure that you are cutting way back on processed foods, they are pretty high in salt. i would also not salt food that you prepare at home. put a large focus on your veggies if you can. we like salads made with kale and swiss chard...they are very good cleansing veggies. i would try to go outside for a few walks a week if possible too. die anything in particular happen 6 years ago? sometimes heavy antibiotic use can be hard to overcome...
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 3:32 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• I dont think you shoud take more than what the label says without asking a doctor. I am not on probiotics so I dont know but generally it is best to follow the directions.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:09 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• I take 4 a day, but I take a real probiotic, not that crud. If it's telling you to limit to 1 a day, it's because there's something else unnecessary in there that they don't want you having too much of. Sounds like you'd benefit from talking to someone who knows something about that stuff because a real probiotic does have good enzymes etc in it. A probiotic doesn't "cure your stomach" - it puts good things into your intestines to help out there - they're not for your "stomach" but for your digestive tract - the stuff that comes after your stomach, your bowels.
    Anonymous

• i was told probiotics will heal the bloating. im so confused
    dkej242

Answer by dkej242 at 12:31 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• my probiotic contains 20 billion cells. what brand do you have? i think the best thing is to get a probiotic from the refrigerator section of a health food store., and get assistance. how long have you been experiencing the bloating? i mean, do you suspect a virus, or is this bloating typical for you?
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 1:18 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Happy2bmom: it's a normal thing for me for the past 6yrs. I have phillips probiotcs brand, it has 1.5billion and im suppose to take one a day
    dkej242

Answer by dkej242 at 2:26 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• thanks again happy2bmom, i started the phillios brand yesterday and it is working wonders, but i think i will switch to the refredgerated as soon as i can get to whole foods store, because i have heard that those are so much better then the non refredgerated because they are higher in probiotic cells. 6yrs ago i had my first child and i have always been on antibiotics for alot of different reasons, thanks for bringing that to my attention. the phillips have 1.5billion cells in it. i feel fine all day but at night i get bloated again thats why i think i need a second one at night
    dkej242

Answer by dkej242 at 8:37 PM on Mar. 18, 2010