Have you started your own photography business?

I've frequently been told by family and friends that I take incredible pictures and should considering starting my own business. I'm contemplating the idea, but I wanted to talk to some people who've actually done it to find out what all is involved. What kind of licensing or permits do I need, how to determine what to charge, how to promote it, all that kind of stuff. Anything you can tell me would be awesome. Even the bad stuff. Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:02 PM on Mar. 18, 2010 in Money & Work

• I do not have a photography business but my good friend does. Licensing and the like is going to be different depending on the state you live. Look up laws in your state to be sure. You can base your rates on other local photography companies rates but start small since you are considered a novice and then build up once you get more and more clients. Even offer free services to build your portfolio. I'm sure there are photography groups here, join them! Once you have a portfolio and examples, start your own free website with weebly or blogspot, etc. You can advertise on free sites like craigslist. The options are endless!
    MeganRussell

Answer by MeganRussell at 11:04 PM on Mar. 18, 2010