Working moms. How do you make time to 'play'

I work part time. I am home when my son gets home. I get home and clean up the kitchen and start dinner and laundry. Pick up the floor and vacuum. I wipe doen bathrooms OR help clean up bed rooms daily. I pay bills as they are due and create budgets. I give them baths and a snack. I fold laundry...I never get to be the fun parent who gets to play. I mean not if the house is going to be clean and laundry done and bills paid...Do you get to play? I mean other than on Saturdays or Sundays? (Even then it tough for me)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:19 PM on Mar. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• We can't do it all- work outside the home, play with our kids, clean the whole house- it is just too much, so usually something doesn't get the attention we want to give it. At my house, usually the housework suffers. Sometimes I am playing on the floor with my DD thinking to myself that I really need to vacuum. But I try to make her time the priority, at least most nights. Sometimes I will clean up after she is down for the night, and sometimes the DH and I flop down on the couch to watch tv and I just tell myself the mess will still be there tomorrow. No one ever said on their deathbed that they wish they had spent more time cleaning.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 1:50 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• I try to make a little time everyday- but not doing this very well lately. I like when we just get to sit down and play a game together. It doesn't take all nite and I know it makes him feel good to spend that time together. Sometimes you just have to let the housework wait. Thanks for reminding me how important it is to spend that time with my son!
    Anonymous

• Well, its hard. I have a 2-1/2 year old son and for the most part, once I pick him up.. its playtime. Besides making dinner of course which he most of the time likes to help with. Otherwise all else gets done after his bedtime. Which makes for a late night for me or if I can't stay up late, it doesn't get done. I schedule 1 day a week for bills/budgeting. We run errands together and I try to make it fun for him so its enjoyable for both of us, although we've had plenty of times where it wasn't. Its a toss up. I want him to have all my attention when I am around but I don't want him to end up throwing tantrums when I do have to get things done so we work on that. His dad also loves to help and play and be silly so we are a great team.. its tough though, things that need to be done sometimes get neglected.. such as painting, we have be doing that for 1 month instead of say a weekend..lol!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:37 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• sometimes its okay to leave something not picked up....so that you can have time to play....and do fun things.

i could spend ALL day cleaning, paying bills, organizing, running errands, making meals, etc....but I would rather put some of that stuff off for another day....or until after the kids are in bed. my house isn't perfect. but i find it more important to have quality time with my kids.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 12:38 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• When I used to work I always made time to play with my son. I worked full time. It was just the two of us at the time though. After work,I'd pick him up frm day care,then we'd usually go out to eat for dinner then come home and play outside or go to the park or chuckee cheese or something. Yeah, those were the good old days,lol. awww, I kinda miss those days.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:39 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• How often are you wiping down bathrooms? Once a week try hitting fast food and having game night.
    Anonymous

• I recently went back to work parttime after being a SAHM...and I was really worried about how we would all adjust. I've started to ask the kids to help me make dinner, help with housework, etc. Things to make it a fun, play time, while also accomplishing the things around the house that need to get done. For instance, I start a load of laundry; dd loves to put in the detergent (she is 5) and ds loves to throw the fabric softener ball in (he is 3). Then we move on to dinner, they both love to measure things and add in spices/herbs. While things are cooking I try to put on some music and dance with them. We also take nightly walks as a family, and of course weekends are all family fun.
    Anonymous

• instead of tackling every single room to clean everyday try doing one room a day and let the kids be a little more independent and own their rooms without you helping out. What ive found best to do is prepare my meals sunday nights for mon thru fri...saves alot of time. use that dishwasher to its advantage!lol
    mariisasmommy

Answer by mariisasmommy at 2:46 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• OH and pay your bills online! sooo convenient!
    mariisasmommy

Answer by mariisasmommy at 2:48 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• OP: I have a 5 year old son so the bathroom must be wiped down every other day including moping. he is ew in a bathroom!
    Anonymous