potty training?

My daughter is 15 months, and can take off her clothes and diaper. I always heard that a sign of ready to be potty trained. When should I start and how should I start? I only have one kid I have no idea how to start potty training.

RachelSutfin

Asked by RachelSutfin at 12:21 PM on Mar. 18, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My first daughter trained at 19 months without any "readiness" signs whatsoever. We just switched to underwear, stayed home and cleaned up some messes until she figured it out (a little over a week). My second daughter was doing similar things to what yours is doing around the same age. At 15 months, we got out the potty ring (and potty chair, but she liked the ring on the toilet better), and started getting her comfortable sitting on it. We let her down if she wanted down. She would tell us after she pooped in her diaper, so we started talking about it a lot, when we changed her, and when we could tell she was going. We just called attention to the process... brought her to the bathroom with us, talked about what we were doing. Soon she loved sitting on the potty and we started putting her there after meals... she very quickly started pooping there, and by 16 months was only having bm's on the potty. (Yay!) (cont'd)
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 1:13 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Around when she turned 17 months, we started getting a lot of "hits" with pee, too, so we started spending a couple hours of the day with her in underwear and a shirt. She had a few accidents and then very quickly figured out how to hold it - for HOURS! Soon, she was dry after naps and some mornings, so we decided to start doing full-time in underwear at home (17.5 months). She got comfortable peeing on the potty and would release any time we put her on (a week later). By 18 months, we she was in underwear in and out of the house, all day long, and we were no longer taking her to the potty periodically... we were trying to get her to tell us when she needed to go. Now, about 2 weeks after that, she has many days of no accidents and asks to go all the time. Some days she still gets distracted and we're still working with her on telling her teachers at school so they don't have to take her there at intervals. But she's trained
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 1:18 PM on Mar. 18, 2010