Why would you keep asking questions about a God you don't believe in?

I'm mean, it's not like you're going to convert a christian to atheism by asking questions about our faith. You aren't saitisfied with answers that are based on the Bible because you don't believe it. But that's what makes someone a christian, faith in God and His word.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:35 PM on Mar. 18, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Because they are curious and thats ok to be curious. I look at it this way once you have planted the seed thats all you can do. They have to be the ones to change not you. I wouldn't let it bother you.

Danielle
    http://www.internetceomoms.com/danishel
    ddsunshine

Answer by ddsunshine at 12:40 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Good point. When someone wants to know just for the sake of knowledge, that's one thing. Asking just to beat down someone for having faith is completely different.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:40 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• there are a lot of ways to explain faith based religion, WITHOUT quoting a holy text.

some people are curious, or simply believe (like I do) that religious folk are mentally ill (OK CM, just like LAST time, I didn't say anything offensive to anyone, just stated a personal belief- and you didn't reprimand me last time you deleted my answers either. I get that majority rules, but doesn't that encroach on freedom of speech? AND freedom of religion? I didn't use anyone's name either, I am NOT breaking the rules here, just sharing MY beliefs regarding religion)

One can certainly entertain a question without believing that it will SOLVE anything, questions are usually asked out of curiosity.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:41 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Isn't that how people learn about other beliefs and religons, by asking questions? I ask my Jewish friends questions all the time because I'm curious and want to know more about their religon. I don't believe what they do but I still like learning about it. So someone can't ask you questions unless they agree with you?
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 12:42 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• I think its wonderful for nonbeleivers to ask questions, if the are genuinely curious and aren't intending to mock God or Christianity.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 12:44 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• It's called seeking knowledge, and what better way to learn than by asking the people who live their lives according to said religion?
    Asking just to bash, yes that is something different. But asking out of curiousity or for clarification is something that should be welcomed, IMO.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 12:46 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• For me personally, it's a matter of curiosity and understanding.
    I had a Jehovah Witness lady come by my house once a week to do bible study with me. I had/have no intentions of becoming a JW because there are many things I whole heartedly disagree with but I was completely ignorant to their religion until I made the choice to learn about it.
    Even now I find myself defending JW's to other people who have skewed views on what their beliefs are.

I appreciated her for not trying to force her religion on me but being open and willing to answer my questions and teach me about it.

I agree that some people have ulterior motives for asking questions. Some people are just jerks. But not all of us asking questions are doing so in a malicious way.
    I prefer to educate myself before judging someone or something.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 12:49 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• yeah i don't know, a lot of these questions are geared more towards mocking Christians beliefs. and really obbydobbie? anyone who is religious is mentally ill? that's quite a stretch.

KristaRene

Answer by KristaRene at 12:51 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• I agree with the one who asked the question here. I have only been on cafemom for a few days now and I can't help but wonder why ask a question. In many cases it is NOT curiosity. There are a few questions that is genuine learning but there are several questions and responses that are poking fun and a few that are down right hostile.

For a newbie it seems as if there is a great deal of hostility by just a few moms towards Christians.
    JazyJasmine

Answer by JazyJasmine at 12:52 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• We can all learn from one another...and to be honest- I have learned more OUT of the church than I ever did IN it
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 12:54 PM on Mar. 18, 2010