• In the Spotlight:

What can a parent do to get a school building for her son to go to school?

A mother's child goes to special ed school. She complaints that her child's class is located in a trailer in a basketball court behind the regular school.

What can she do to get her child to go a class inside a building?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:35 PM on Mar. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• I've had co teachers with trailers for classrooms. They said it was the BEST. It was a much more quiet environment for the students. I bet for a SPED setting, that works very well. As others have stated, schools that lack room and funding WILL use trailers. It's a pretty common thing to see.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 7:35 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• not much- the classed are located where they happen to be located.
    if they use a trailer, it's most likely they are short on space.

Anonymous

• Why? Did you know that some schools are full of mold. I would think that for someone who has allergies like my son the trailer will bit much better.
    Energ8zr

Answer by Energ8zr at 12:46 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• will fit* not will bit
    Energ8zr

• there are schools around here that due to over population or construction use trailors. However, they are finishing building a new school right now. once it is finished they will re-distribute the grades/kids so that everyone is more comfortable. If a child's classroom is in a trailer outside of the school-I am pretty sure the school isn't happy about it either-whether they are special ed or not. I know around here funding is tight for everything. I would talk to the school and find out what their long term plans are for the classes...if there are any additions planned. Once you find out from the school system what is going on and why they are using the trailers and for how long, the parent should be able to make a decision from there. If it is really a big deal that the student's classroom is in the trailer..maybe find out if there are any other options...but if they are using trailers...that means someone's child will use it
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 12:48 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• nothing unfortunately. Do you realize how much $ and time it would take to build an actual bigger school building?
    Anonymous

• You can ask the principal to move classrooms, but if it's a special ed. school, it's likely not going to happen since the special needs are accommodated in the portable.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 1:01 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Sadly there is little to be done. They were using those things when I was in elementary school over 20 years ago. I didn't go to a school that didn't have those until I was in high school. Until money can be spent more on acutal education and less on the extras like sports, constant raises for teachers and misc. crap for the faculty, the students are going to keep missing out.
    Anonymous

• "Until money can be spent more on acutal education and less on the extras like sports, constant raises for teachers and misc. crap for the faculty, the students are going to keep missing out."
    amen to that!

unfortunately when it comes to things like sports, sometimes when they can't have a activity due to lack of funding, they won't let the parents pay for it themselves because it's considered discrimination.
    Anonymous

• unfortunately when it comes to things like sports, sometimes when they can't have a activity due to lack of funding, they won't let the parents pay for it themselves because it's considered discrimination.

So there should be no education that can be used in life so there can be football and basketball that these kids aren't going to play to make a living? Bad excuse.
    Anonymous