When does a child start seeing a dentist???

My son is 3 1/2 and he loves to brush his teeth :) So when does he need to start seeing a dentist???

mrs_hartline

Asked by mrs_hartline at 5:28 PM on Jun. 26, 2008 in Kids' Health

• I've taken my kids in every 6 months since they were 1 year old.

DD has been cavity free but at 4 my son had 2 cavities and they needed to be filled, since then he has been cavity free.

He was cool and calm about getting it filled, because he was there many times before and knew this was NOT norm.

As a matter of fact our dentist even asked if little boy could come in and watch my son get his cavities fixed. Just so he could see what would happen. The boy was 5 and it was is first visit and he needed 6 cavities filled, needless to say he (the other boy) was scared to death.

Of course the mom question how old my son was and the dentist told her, but also explained the difference was that my kids have been going there since they were babies and that is what made the difference.

SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 5:37 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• It varies. Some dentist's say when the first tooth arrives, some say 1 year, some 2, some 3 years old.

I like my dentist's take on it...
    If you suspect a problem, bring her in ASAP.
    Otherwise, bring her in when she's at least 2, will open her mouth when asked, and won't bite the dentist.

For you, I'd say it's time.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:39 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• My pediatrician said generally around the age of 3 is a good time to take them to the dentist. He did however recommend that I find a pediatric dentist because regular dentist are not all equipt to deal with kids and their small mouths. Good luck.
    mommajess2026

Answer by mommajess2026 at 5:39 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• My daughters pedi wants her to see the dentist at a year. However i discussed this with the dental office we go to and they generally dont see them until about 3 or 4. Though you can take them to a pediatric dentist who might see them sooner.
    Cmyfantasyworld

Answer by Cmyfantasyworld at 6:10 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• My dentist recommended age 3 and I agree. You want this to be a positive experience for the child and that is a good age. Although some books and online newsletters recommend age 1, I think age 3 is better.
    NovaChk

Answer by NovaChk at 9:26 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• Also, my first son went at age 3 and he has never had fears of going to the dentist and my youngest, who is special needs, didn't go until age 4 because of his behavior, and everything checked out fine with him!
    NovaChk

Answer by NovaChk at 9:27 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• I took both of mine at 12 months for their one year check-up and then every 6 months after that...We just went a few days ago and Bryson had a cavity :(
    MOMMYOFCUTIES84

Answer by MOMMYOFCUTIES84 at 9:40 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• Last I heard the American Pediatric Dental Association suggests 6 months but I thought that was a little nuts and it's very hard to find a dentist that takes them that young. We started at 1.
    mnews

Answer by mnews at 10:18 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• i had the doctor look at them starting at one then at three took them to a dentist, its great your son loves to brush his teeth, you're lucky
    leah2113

Answer by leah2113 at 11:28 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• A lot of dentists won't start seeing a kid until they're 3 b/c they can't do much before that. 3 1/2 is a great time to get started with regular dental visits.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 12:08 AM on Jun. 27, 2008