My first OBGYN appointment. Am i supposed to get a ultrasound?

I just found out i was pregnant! I'm currently on my 6th week according to my PCP who estimated from my last period. I have my first appointment with my OBGYN on the 30th of this month (March) Are they supposed to do a Sonogram? I will be in my 8th week when i go. Please let me know! The receptionist said they were going to run a bunch of tests then schedule my ultrasound but i dont know if she was meaning my 2nd ultrasound or my first.

Its my first pregnancy and i've been having really light cramping NO PERIOD and my doctor confirmed my pregnancy and everything. I have all the tender breasts symptoms and etc...I just am not familliar with cramping in pregnancy.
Which is why i was hoping they would do a sonogram to really confirm...But i guess since there's no bleeding i should be fine right?

MommaWilkes

Asked by MommaWilkes at 1:24 PM on Mar. 18, 2010 in Pregnancy

• some do an ultrasound some dont, it really depends on the doctor, with my first two i didnt have one at the first visit but with my last one my doctor wheeled the cart in and took a quick look.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:26 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• With both of my pregnancies they did not do an ultrasound on the first visit. They checked me over, had me fill out all the forms, and then scheduled me for one. My first one with my first pregnancy was the next week because they thought I had more then one baby in there...and I did! But my second one I think was a few weeks to a month later.
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 1:27 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• I did not get an ultrasound till almost 12 weeks. They will use a doppler for the heartbeat, usually but I think it's pretty soon for an ultrasound.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 1:28 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• My doctor does ultrasounds on the first visit no matter how far along the mom is. Cramping is normal. I am on my 5th pregnancy(4th baby).
    JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 1:45 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• I have 3 kids and my doctor didn't do one on my first appointment. They scheduled one for the next week. They do them early so they can find out just how far along you are. With my middle one I didn't know I was pregnant till I was almost 4 months along.
    trachmom312

Answer by trachmom312 at 1:51 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• There's 2 kinds of ultrasounds really. There's a really informal one done right in the exam room that isn't as lengthy or informative as the actual ultrasound. Many doctors will do this, administered by themself, on the first visit.

In the 20 week range you will have a real ultrasound scheduled with an ultrasound technician. It will take a half an hour or more. They will most likely be able to determine the baby's sex, check for deformities, get an idea of the baby's size and weight and confirm your due date. They may or may not send you home with pictures of the baby.

If this is your first appointment it is possible that you doctor will do the informal ultrasound, but not all doctors do.
    Anonymous

• Usually they do an ultrasound on ur first visit if there some question of ur actual due date. The ultrasound will tell you how far you are in your pregnancy. I am 25 weeks pregnant with my second and as with my first I had an ultrasound done on the fist visit. With my son (my first) I was 9 weeks at my first appt, and with this little boy(this pregnancy, 2nd) I was 7 weeks when I went for my first appt.
    hate2ndchances

Answer by hate2ndchances at 1:55 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• I found out I was prego about 7 weeks along... I had HORRIBLE cramping ( that's why I kept thinking my period was coming) They did do a ultrasound.... but I've had friends who's Drs didn't there first appt....
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 2:06 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• It depends on your doctor. Mine doesn't do them on the first visit. You have to rescedule.
    Anonymous

• Totally depends on your doctor. This is my fifth pregnancy and on this last one I had one on my first visit. My doctor asked if I wanted one because the ultrasound tech happened to be in. According to my last period I should have been a bit further along than what the ultrasound confirmed. I was only 6 weeks and 5 days.

Congenial

Answer by Congenial at 3:34 AM on Mar. 23, 2010