Moms who have the tv on all day...? (NO BASHING PLEASE!!)

I have the tv on all day, and I feel bad sometimes. I grew up with my mom and dad having the tv a lot, but I turned out ok (I have a masters degree). But I hear a lot of moms saying it's bad for the children, etc.

How do YOU feel?

I just get bored without the tv on. I do spend time with my daughter (who is 21 months old), so it's not like I'm glued to the tv all day. We also go out for walks too. She watches Mickey Mouse and Handy Manny, and she glances at the tv programs I watch too (there's no violence or cussing or nudity).

Thanks for your responses.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:29 PM on Mar. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• we have the tv on most of the day but that doesnt mean anyone is really watching it. more background noise. it is really rarely watched. ds has a tv in his room but no cable so he can only watch pbs. needless to say i havent seen him watch the tv in his room in months. i dont want tv to be a forbidden fruit. i dont want to make it that you can only watch so many hours of tv a day because then the kid will be damn sure to be watching those whole hours. i think if your kid is on track and they are social and happy and smart.... who could say it is really hurting them? why couldnt you as easily say that they learn from it. it is a tool and it is all how it is used. like a hammer, you could kill someone with it but you could also use it to fix something. it is all how it is used.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 3:41 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Ours is on most of the time too, and to be honest...the kids are up playing doing things in their bedroom. They wouldnt sit still to watch a whole show if I begged them to..lol

People get too panicky over stupid things. Dont worry about it. Just remember to talk to her a lot, read books, play games etc too....this will help her stay well rounded ;)
    Anonymous

• My mother never allowed the tv on in the day. I had the tv on all day for my kids. I wish I had not now. They are adults and keep it on all night long. The brain needs rest. I have one dd who has 3 kids so they never get a good nights sleep bc their brain gets no quiet time but they can't sleep now without the tv on. Quiet time is vital. I also have a concern about electromagnet fields. So I shut mine off during the day and unplug it.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:33 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• i dont have the tv on all day, but shes always asking for it, i dont think it should be on all day, but for afew hours is ok. i think leaving it on all day is awaste of energy and its only gunna cost you more money, but my daughter usually watches nick jr/ noggin if im to busy to play wiht her, other then that shes watches csi, law and order, they have some bad scenes in it, but no really violence stuff... i think if you guys do other activities and she is capable of playing by herself with out the tv in the backround . your doing just fine.
    jlouise03

Answer by jlouise03 at 1:33 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• We don't even have a tv, by choice.
    Anonymous

• I would never leave it on during the nighttime. And my brother is an electrician and he told me about the electromagnet fields. You have to be and stay within inches of the tv for it to effect you. Normal usage will not effect you.
    Anonymous

• Ours is on a lot too. It is many back ground noise for us. My girls play lot and want us to read them story's. They will watch a show here or there. But they woudld rather  us to be reading, doing art or them playing in there playroom or room. So it is on but no one is really watching it. I guess a lot of the time when it is on. We have it on the music station.

Anonymous

• OP

She doesn't watch tv at bedtime. There's no tv in her room.
    Anonymous

• My tv is on most of the day because i have the music channels and i think its cute to watch my son dance around the house!! He doesnt actually watch TV...but the noise is usually on be it talking or the music....it hasnt caused a problem and i dont see it being a problem in the future..my son likes his room with toys and no tv better than the living room with TV anyway!!!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 1:40 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• We used to have it on all the time. My husband would turn it on cartoons before he left to work out, and go to work so if the kids happened to get up and come downstairs, I would have a bit longer to sleep in. I just never turned it off. For the past month or two, he stopped doing it, because the boys always come into my room when they wake up, and don't go watch cartoons and let me sleep. I turn it on maybe twice a week if they ask for it, but they usually don't.

I have found that I get more done without it. I would get WAY MORE done if I wasn't on CM though :)
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 1:42 PM on Mar. 18, 2010