No longer sleeping.....

I need help. My son is almost 5 months old and started sleeping through the night at 2 1/2 months. He would sleep until 5:30 roughly. For the past month, he hasn't been sleeping through the night. He won't eat before bed, even though he has done it since he was born. I manage to get half a bottle in him and we put him to bed about 9 pm. He'll wake up about 1:30 or 2 and I feed him. He is up after that. He doesn't want anything else, his diaper is good and he just keeps crying. He's not teething and I am tired. We can't swaddle him anymore and he doesn't really sleep during the day anymore either. If anyone has any advice, please help me. I am getting tired of this.

so1986

Asked by so1986 at 1:48 PM on Mar. 18, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He's quite normal. And all mothers are tired :) Sleep patterns change a lot in the first year and don't really settle for 3-4 years. If he's learned something new that will cause waking, so will growth spurts and teething (even if there is no obvious pain). If he's not tired at 9 don't put him down at nine. Do you keep the lights out and have the bottle ready and warm before he starts crying? Do you carry him in a carrier/wrap/sling during the day so that he is stimulated with normal activity? Do you get fresh air? Has you time changed for daylight savings?? Remember what is 9:00 for you is still 8:00 for him.

A few days ago I wondered why my baby protested when I nursed her in bed at 9:00. She looked at me strangely and was wound up. I forgot about the time change. She gets tired in the evening at the same time as always despite the clock! I work with her natural rhythm not against them.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 2:05 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• I have come to the conclusion that a baby under age 1 that sleeps through the night is NOT the norm....Moms are always desperately trying to find a way to get their children to do it but most just don't....My 9 month old hasn't slept through in months. There are a million "sleep techniques" you can try but in my opinion you just need give them the comfort they need for now...good luck, I know how hard it is to function on such little sleep!! If you do decide to try sleep training I hope it works for you.
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 4:08 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• He's normal. Five hours is considered sleeping through the night, and they will change the patterns all the time. Mo's job? Roll with it and dump that which is not needed for survival in the daytime. (Housework tops that "not needed" list.)

Answer by gdiamante at 4:57 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Typical. Babies are funny like that. They finally get you used to something, and then, they just up and change it. Unfortunately, I have no real advice besides assuring you that it won't last forever. GL!
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:57 PM on Mar. 18, 2010