Anyone else give Mirilax daily to help child fight their constipation?

Before those "holier than thou" eaters answer me. YES we tried serious diet modifications,
He eats a better diet than 90% of his friends....but he was still having problems so the Dr put him on it daily to help soften his stool.

Anyone else...how old is your child, how much mirilax do you give them, in what type of drink?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:54 PM on Mar. 18, 2010 in Kids' Health

• i hope you get more answers, my son has not had regular bowel movements since he was born, and every doctor i've taken him to just blows it off and says, more fiber. my son eats healthier than anyone i know, and he still has problems, i just read an article in parents magazine, and i read that, i'm in the process of getting my son another appointment because i feel so bad for him, and nobody cares but me :( he's 2 1/2 by the way
    Anonymous

• I am the OP: my son is 6.5 and he has been having bad problems..he was even impacted for a while. But we got that situated.

When you asked questions like this, most of the time you get these vegetarian type moms on here who assume you are feeding your child all Little Debbie Cakes or something. I get frustrated b/c his diet is super good! Nothing more we can do to his diet or fluid intake.

He still has an issue. He has been on miralax now for about a week, and so far he has had consistent bowel movements. I was just wondering what other moms did.
    Anonymous

• Meat & dairy are the problem... an yes, I am a vegetarian. No one is assuming you feed your child snack crap all day, but if you actually cared to research what a child that age CAN digest, you would realize that meat & dairy are NOT on the list. Giving the kid drugs to help him poop isn't the answer either... Like everything else in life, just because you CAN does not mean you SHOULD- same rule applies to eating meat & dairy.

But what do I know? I'll just thank common sense for my kids healthy colons.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:07 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• What testing has he had done b/f he was put on the Miralax? There may be a physical reason why your child is having difficulties with his bowel movements, especially since you've already ruled out dietary issues. If your child has hypotonia, that can contribute heavily to constipation b/c the muscles simply don't have it in them to move the stool out efficiently, but exercises can help. There are also many other dietary issues that can cause bowel problems, like a mild food intolerance & testing can help diagnose this type of problem.

For my son, b/f we figured out what his physical issues were, we used magnesium citrate instead of the Miralax. My son had a bad reaction to the Miralax, so we couldn't use it, and since we needed to be able to use something long term anyway (Miralax is not recommended to be taken for more than 2 wks, per manufacturer's instrc.), the mag citrate was a safer choice.
    Anonymous

• My oldest has pooping issues. We tryed everything to come and find out it is something she holds. Because it is one thing she has control over.

We also tryed the Mirilax. But we did not want her to rely on med to help her. We wanted a natrual way.

Once we started to go to the Chiropractor has it really helped. Abotu 2 hr after seeing him she could not hold it anymore and had to go. Once he got everyting alinged right and water flowing(best way to explain it) she was going so much better. When it has been a while since she has gone. We will see the chiropractor. She is know 6 yrs old and finially having much better control. But when things are stressful to her. We will notice she will not go for some time.
    Anonymous

• OP HERE!

Ooby Dooby...you were who I expected to respond!!! DId I say I gave my child dairy and meats????? Ummmmm that would be a no!

He truly dislikes meats. We are a meat eating family and he refuses to eat it. I dont make him. He eats PILES of raw carrots and cucumber at a time. Walks around the house with lettuce in his hands munching. no joke!!!

We are actually shocked b/c neither me or my hubby eat like this...but he does.

What do I DO NOW???? I just thank my common sense that I do not jump to conclusion and assume things about people over the internet.

Anonymous

• See first poster at 1:57, that the type of people I was talking about. Think their way must solve EVERY problem in the world.

" If everyone did what I did, there would be NO MORE problems!!!! "

Naive
    Anonymous

• Yes I have been giving my twin daughters Mirilax daily since they were 4 years old. They are 11 now. They have autism and one of the things that autistic people do in hold stool. We don't know why, they just do. So they would get so constipated and it would get so big that it would be almost impossible for them to pass it and it was very painful for them. So we took them to a pediatric gastroenterologist and he put us on a daily regimen of 17grams (or one cap full) of Mirilax in an 8 ounce glass of water. He said that if that didn't make them go every 3 days, on the fourth day we should give them an enema. We had to do that for about a year but then the girls finally figured out that they didn't have to get the enemas if they would just push out some poop everyday. So now we just have to give them the Mirilax a couple of times a week to keep things moving easily.
    momoftwins240

Answer by momoftwins240 at 4:42 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• We have recently started my son on Miralax for frequent constipation... he's ALWAYS had bowel problems, even as a breastfed infant. When we changed him to milk a little after a year it was AWFUL... we cut back milk and then changed to 2% which helped some... but he would go 4 days without going and then when he did it would be the size of a baseball! Poor baby :(
    SO anyway... my son is 20 months and 30 lbs... his pediatrician said to give 2 teaspoons once/day. I started with 1 teaspoon because I didn't want him to get diarrhea... and 1 is enough for him. Now he goes every 1-2 days and it's nice and soft.
    I just mix it in with whatever he is drinking... usually milk in the morning... the other day I mixed it up with his yogurt.
    Watch for tummy cramping... if he gets really fussy on it dont give it anymore and ask your pediatrician about something else. My son has tolerated it fine though.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 6:44 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• My son is three and this is a newer issue for us. I am so glad others have been there done that or are still right here with me. My son does have a poor diet. We know that. He has an oral sensory disorder where eating certain foods don't feel right and he panics. This is an ongoing heartbreaking struggle. We are currently working on getting more fiber and hopefully with begin OT soon. In the mean time we are doing Milk of Mag and Benefiber to drink. Not working so hot. This is a about a two month old issue now and I am ready to pull out my hair. Everyone is well meaning (and there is some judgement in their comments) but I just need some understanding and to know what others do.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:57 PM on Mar. 18, 2010