Why is there so much racism towards black people?

I overheard two people in the supermarket talking trash about a black lady who was using some WIC checks. They weren't bashing the WIC, they were bashing her for being a black chick who uses WIC. Anyway, that is just one example. But I see more racism towards them than anyone else.

What (if anything at all) have they really done to deserve this? Do you think it is still the same racism from over 200 years ago that just keeps getting passed down or that racism towards blacks is a "new" racism???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:04 PM on Mar. 18, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Toward them? I think it's the other way around. You happened to catch a rare moment.
    Anonymous

• its passing of stereotypes that blacks are lazy and criminals.. all that crap
    Anonymous

• "Toward them? I think it's the other way around. You happened to catch a rare moment. "

OP: Yes, I've seen a lot of that too.
    Anonymous

• I see racism towards LOTS of races. I dont think its a black only issue. In fact believe it or not, whites can be discriminated against too....ahhhh,,,,shock and awe!!!!

My best friend is a professor at a University and she needed to hire a new assistant. She had two wonderful potential workers at the top of her list....a black girl and a white girl....when she ran the potential employees by HER boss...her boss told her to hire the black girl b/c they needed more black employees to put on their paper work.

HELLO...how about just hiring the one that is the most qualified for the job!!!!!
    Anonymous

• wow... I think you might change your mind if you walked through the ghetto by your little old white self. KWIM?

Personally, couldn't care less... Everyone has their own take, but the race card is played WAAAYYYY too much. In reality, they have more rights (that are enforceable) than I do.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:10 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• "HELLO...how about just hiring the one that is the most qualified for the job!!!!! "

THANK YOU!!! I am Latina and it bothers the crap out of me thinking that I may not have gotten into the college I attended because of merit, but affiermative action instead. I want to be treated equal so EVALUATE ME EQUALLY!!!
    MommaToSam

Answer by MommaToSam at 2:10 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Boy oh boy you asked a tough question. I don't really know why there is so much racism today. A lot of (sorry but mostly white) people will try to tell you that it's a non issue now, and that things are better... but their not. Racism is complicated and it comes in a lot of forms. Sometimes it is the out right racist behavior like you describe, or it is discrimination in the form of profiling, and sometimes it is misdirected by well intentioned white guilt. Some times white people resent their own guilt for past injustices and it manifests in the form of racial aggression. Sometimes people just have a limited world view and have only come across black people who happen to fit into their experience of the race and so they assume that all black people are alike.

Honestly, if anyone really knew the answer to this question maybe we could get closer to resolving the issue.
    Anonymous

------------------------------------------------
    OP here....I am not white
    Anonymous

• "HELLO...how about just hiring the one that is the most qualified for the job!!!!!"

If both people are equally qualified what's wrong with using diversity needs to break the tie?? It's important to have a broad base of employees with different world views if a work environment wants to be successful and relevant. Did you know that sometimes when offices are full of people of color they'll hire "the white girl" for the same reason??
    Anonymous

• White people get bashed about it too, Whites, miexicans, and asians get attacked too. Noone pays any attention to that because " they aren't black so they don't have racism towards them" Just drop it for real. The things that fan that crap is people like you that have to keep bringing it up. It was said to the ladies in line, Not to you. They are ignorant. IGNORE THEM
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 2:17 PM on Mar. 18, 2010