How can I get my ebf baby (3months) to sleep at night.

I don't believe in the cry it out method--well, let me say, I can't tolerate his crying. My 3 month old is exclusively breast fed, and wants to eat every 2 hours, even at night. He MAY go 3 hours without eating, maybe. He is very healthy (16lbs already), so I disagree with the thought that he is not getting enough calories during the day, so he must eat at night.
Any suggestions?

MommytoRodric

Asked by MommytoRodric at 2:16 PM on Mar. 18, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• At three months? Sorry, you can't. He'll sleep longer when he's ready. That could be tomorrow, that could be a year from now. He's QUITE normal and shouldn't be expected to do anything but what he is. It CAN happen...don't expect it.

The only things we're guaranteed as moms are death, taxes and never gettign more than three hours in a row ever again...it's always gonna be SOMETHING. (For me it *was* taxes last night!)

Answer by gdiamante at 4:55 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Have him sleep with you. That way you can just roll over and feed him and not get up completely. It's easier. There is nothing you can do to make him sleep until he is ready. Mine were all a year before they slept through the night!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:22 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• ALL babies wake at night to feed, especially growth spurts which happen periodically. 3 months is a major growth spurt.

I co sleep so its not an issue for me 3-4 hours is pretty standard. 1-2 hours during a growth spurt.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 3:35 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Yeah sounds about right to me for a breastfed baby. Try putting the crib in your room so you don't have to wake up as much to feed him or safely cosleep. We safely cosleep and it is wonderful for letting mom get a little more sleep. He will sleep when he is ready. Mine didn't until about 9 months or so and then it was only about 6-7 hours.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 3:52 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• i slept with my babies, and rarely felt tired when i had singletons...the twins i was still tired for a year though!
    a baby's tummy is tiny, and they are hungry when empty!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 4:02 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• I fed my DD at night through about 6 months, she was ebf. They say babies digest breast milk faster because it is so perfectly formulated for their little tummies so I fed her because I firmly believed she was hungry and needed the nutrition. I did bring her in my bed frequently as well because it was easy and we both got back to sleep more quickly. I think 3 months is too young to expect baby to sleep thru the night without a feeding, and at 3 months my DD still fed mulitple times a night. I know it stinks but in a few months it will all change so try and hang in there and get the rest when you can. After the 3 month growth spurt babies nightime hunger might taper off and he will need less nursing at night but I wouldn't expect it to go away for a while.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:38 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• I'm sorry, but I would feed him. At 3 months, some babies can go long stretches without eating, while others still need to nurse frequently. I would also suggest cosleeping if you are open to that, because it does make nighttime feeding much easier. Don't worry, this won't last forever.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:55 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• BTW...CIO experts say not to do it before six months at the very earliest.

• You could try pumping and feeding him a bottle at night. My daughter always seemed like she ate more from a bottle than from me. At 3 months my daughter was drinking 5 oz of breastmilk from a bottle. It's worth a try. Also, maybe try to things that may make him sleep better, then he might not wake up to eat. For example, if he is too cold at night, he will wake up more often. Try swaddling him if you don't already. Give him a bath right before bedtime. Just some ideas. Good luck.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 5:36 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Thanks, ladies! I try not to cosleep--rather put him in his bassinet next to my bed. But, I do sit up in bed to feed him, then put him back in bassinet, if I don't fall asleep first.
    He doesn't like to be swaddled. If I'm around, he doesn't like to take a bottle--and doesn't really want to take a bottle from his father.
    But, it is good to know this is normal, and that I'm not doing anything wrong during the day.
    MommytoRodric

Answer by MommytoRodric at 5:50 PM on Mar. 18, 2010