Dilated and contracting...

I went to the OB two days ago and I was dilated to a 2 and contracting. The contractions got stronger and faster, so the doc had me go to Labor and Delivery last night. But since there was no cervical change they sent me home to wait it out. I'm 34 weeks along and have been on bedrest since December. How long could I stay like this? I'm still having the contractions (it's been 3 days and I'm exhausted.) They are going to induce me in 2 weeks if I haven't gone into full active labor at that time b/c of PIH and Placental abruption. Please no rude comments. This is my first baby/pregnancy and I could really use some advice. Thanks in advance.

MommaRikard

Asked by MommaRikard at 2:17 PM on Mar. 18, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I would just do my best to relax. Make sure you take some nice long baths and use warm compress on your back and lower belly. Do everything you can to relax, make your SO give you massages, whatever it takes for you to relax. The more you relax the quicker the contractions will start doing something. If you are not in to much pain you can also try having sex. This won't help with the pain or anything but semen helps soften the cervix.

I know that isn't too much help, but that's the best I can give you. Good luck!
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 2:25 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• The best advice I can give you is to hang in there. I know you are ready but everyday you wait it out your baby is getting stronger and more prepared to meet you so think of that when you are miserable. Try to distract yourself and relax. Read, watch tv, have some friends or family bring you lunch or come to visit and keep you company. I know it's easier said than done but trust me, in the next few months you will have at least a moment or two when you wish you could put that little one back in just to get yourself a few hours alone. Rest as much as you can and know that at the most you only have two weeks to go- the time may go slow but it will pass and this will all be over. Good luck Mama!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:33 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Have they checked to make sure your LO isn't sunny side up? With my baby I had regular back contractions for about 4 weeks. When I finally went into labor I had contractions for 22 hours then they stopped for about 12 hours, and I had them for another 10 after that before she was born. And it was because she was sunny side up. By the time I got to the birthing center I was already 7cm. It's exhausting I know! But like the pp posters said, just try to relax. It will be over before you know it.
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 1:42 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• oh im sorry but i know all about bedrest i have been on bedrest for about a month. Just relax and dont go lifting alot of heavy thngs and when ur contractions are really bad try breathing in through your nose and out with your mouth it does help. It helped me when i had my amniocentesis on monday and when i was in labor with my first two boys. Good luck and the best. They say if ur water breaks or u have more then four contractions in a hour u should call Labor and Delievery and tell them cause those are signs that ur in active labor most of the time. And also if ur bleeding head to Labor and Delievery that could mean alot of things depends good luck
    Anonymous