Did Jesus come to "save" the ETs or just humans?

I just got done watching "Closer to Truth" on PBS (http://www.pbs.org/kcet/closertotruth/) and the subject today was aliens, extra terrestrials. And the host asked many questions of different scientists, philosophers, and theologians. And I wanted your thoughts as well...

1) Do you believe we are alone, or are there others on other planets?
2) For Christians, did Jesus come to Earth just to save humanity? or all the peoples on other planets as well?
3) If he just came to Earth and took on human flesh to save humanity, would or could he also have taken on alien flesh to save an alien world?
4) What if each planet also has it's own god(s) (like every culture here on Earth) and has no need of Jesus?
5) If, 1000 yrs from now, we perfect warp engines (or whatever) and travel to these other worlds and meet these other peoples, what of conversion?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:37 PM on Mar. 18, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• 1)I find it highly probable that there is life on other planets. There are hundreds of billions of other stars out there with countless planetary systems. Are they as or more intelligent as humans? Also possible.
    2-3) I'll make no assumptions as a non-believer, but if I did believe the bible, I would assume that God created all the stars and planets, and therefore any aliens. If their world was full of sin against God, then they would also need his salvation.
    4) If the aliens are intelligent enough to question their existence, it seems plausible they would also create their own gods to explain what they don't understand.
    5) Religious leaders will put up a lot of resistance to dealing with alien life unless they can convert them and take their resources. This as been done countless times in our own world with aboriginal/native tribes.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 3:03 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• If there are aliens here,I guess they're S.O.L unless they converted! lol! I'd say our planet,our savior.Their planet,their gods
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 2:42 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• I believe that since we are Adams descendants and sin entered in through him it wouldn't effects any of God's other creations (if any existed), some Angels (demons) are spoken of as following Satan and rebelling against God and they also will not gain form Jesus ransom sacrifice because they were perfect and knew the Truth just as the Angel who made himself Satan did...only total destruction awaits them.
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 2:46 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• He came to save MANKIND on this earth. It never says universe.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 3:11 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• 1) i wouldnt be surprised if life was found on other planets. it seems kinda odd if there were all these planets in space but Earth was the only one inhabited by intelligent life.
    2) IMO just Earth. i would think God would send other planets their own savior. how else would they know about Jesus?
    3) sure, why not?
    4) can i move there? i would love to live on a planet that has things so figured out that they wouldnt have a need for anyone like Jesus. seeing as Jesus isnt the only savior-like person in history, a planet w/ no need for a savior would be a really nice place (i would assume).
    5) i dont like the idea of going to other countries, let alone planets, and telling the native ppl they are wrong. so i'd be very against conversions. now someone going to said planet and they want to know of Christianity thats fine, just not as the sole reason for going there.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 3:34 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• 1) Do you believe we are alone, or are there others on other planets? There are other planets, we are not God's only creations, but we are the only ones in his image.
    2) For Christians, did Jesus come to Earth just to save humanity? or all the peoples on other planets as well? I believe we are the only planet that fell. But if any other planets fell then of course God would give them the same chance as us :)
    3) If he just came to Earth and took on human flesh to save humanity, would or could he also have taken on alien flesh to save an alien world? He defiantly could have taken the form of the beings on any of the planets they have made. I mean it is God lol.
    4) What if each planet also has it's own god(s) (like every culture here on Earth) and has no need of Jesus? Are you are asking if other planets have false doctrines as well?
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 4:31 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• 5) If, 1000 yrs from now, we perfect warp engines (or whatever) and travel to these other worlds and meet these other peoples, what of conversion? As I stated above I believe we are the only planet that fell.
    rhanford

• 1) Do you believe we are alone, or are there others on other planets?  I believe in ETs.
    2) For Christians, did Jesus come to Earth just to save humanity? or all the peoples on other planets as well? Jesus didn't come to Earth.  He was just a guy, if he existed.
    4) What if each planet also has it's own god(s) (like every culture here on Earth) and has no need of Jesus?  I do believe that other intelligent species probably have their own creation stories and religions.
    5) If, 1000 yrs from now, we perfect warp engines (or whatever) and travel to these other worlds and meet these other peoples, what of conversion? No!  By then we will have realized that most religions are false.

Anonymous

• 1) No, I don't believe in ETs. If there were, It would have been in the bible with Jesus preaching to them. Same with the whole Mormon belief that Jesus went to the America's--not true. 2) Seeing as there aren't ETs, just humanity. 3) He could have. But Genesis doesn't say "God created light and dark, the other life forms, sky, earth, animals, people" It doesn't mention other life--so it doesn't make sense that there are b/c anything of significance of creation is in Genesis. 4) there is only ONE God and ONE Christ. The bible says so. 5) IF there were ETs out there, I'm sure there would be missionaries from all faiths. Assuming they didn't kill us or already believe. But I doubt there are, so this is irrevalent

missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 11:22 PM on Mar. 18, 2010