What is a good rate for a babysitter?

I want to work but I don't know how much would be a good rate for a babysitter. They would have to be in my home though. I can't have m kids at a different house for 6hrs a day. Well it is going to mainly be my baby all the sitter would have to do with the older kids is to make sure they get to school, they'd be fed and ready by the time the sitter would get to my house. I should be home by the time the kids are home from school. And for 1 of my kids they go to school in the afternoon so the sitter would have to watch him for about 3hrs.. I'm wondering what a good pay rate would be?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:38 PM on Mar. 18, 2010 in Just for Fun

• $10 per hour?
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:40 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• So basically two kids? There's an amount by state law that would require tax reporting if it's high enough. Otherwise, like $12 and hour or less would be good. Depends on where you live and how bad the economy is. Also if she's cpr certified, blah, blah.
    Anonymous

• Depending on the ages and numbers of kids, I'd say $6-$10 an hour or something like $45 or so a day if they are doing it every day.

I watched a baby for $105/week when I was in high school during the summer (about 6 or 7 hours a day).
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 2:51 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• it kind of depends where you live -- if you live in a place where things are cheaper ( in a smaller town/state) your not going ot pay as much as someone would in say NYC or bigger city.....

we live in a small town in ohio and my friend who takes care of kids ( 2 kids) gets $20 a day ( $100 / week) and that is pretty common for around here ... for 1 kid it would be $10/ day !

glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 3:03 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• This could get expensive if you do it by the book. You'll have to pay the sitter/nanny AND you'll have to pay employment taxes for household workers. I think you'd be looking at $300 to $350 per week minimum with pay and taxes.
    Anonymous

• I think it depends. When i lived in the city babysitters charged around 6-10 bucks an hour. But were I live now they charge about 4-6.

When I quit my job and decided to stay home I started baby sitting. I knew how hard was to be a single mom and trying to pay for childcare when you are only making around 10-15 bucks an hour, so when I started I charged $3 bucks and hour per kid and i provided snacks and meals (because I did not want to make 5 different things for 5 different kids during lunch).

I only watch one child now other then my own because it got really stressfull with a house full of kids running around and screaming all day, and I really do not do it for the money, I do it because my son has friends to play with and it gives me something to do during the day.
    saysha100687

Answer by saysha100687 at 7:25 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• I should note that I watched children who had single parents or did not make alot of money...thats why it is soo low
    saysha100687

Answer by saysha100687 at 7:27 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• My daughter is a Red Cross certified babysitter. She charges $8-10 an hour.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:17 AM on Mar. 19, 2010