Do they check for dialation AT 36 week apt?

I have felt like crap all day, and it seems to have come out of no where...but the extreme head aches and blurred vision is getting to me...I have a doc appt in a few days, but do they start checking for dialation at 36 weeks? I think i start going weekly after this right?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:56 PM on Mar. 18, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I should also add, headaches and blurred vision are not a sign of impending labour, but they are signs of pre eclampsia. You should see a doctor.
    EmilyandIsaac

Answer by EmilyandIsaac at 4:58 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• I think they start checking at 37 weeks. Yes you should start your weekly visits now.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 2:59 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Some do, some don't. There isn't a reason to do it though. It doesn't tell you how close you are to labor or anything really other than that you are dialted. It also increases your risk of infection. You can refuse the check if you want.

The only time a women should be checked is when an induction is being considered and they need to check your Bishop's score to see how like an induction is to be sucessful.

You don't even need to be checked during labor.
    Anonymous

• it depends on your dr.

my OB for babies 1 and 2 didn't believe in checking cervix until you were actually in labour (he didn't see the need), OB for #3 checked me weekly (hated her)

I know what I was dialated with the first two because of "oh my god" what's wrong hospital visits. lol

dialation doesn't really mean anything anyway....you know its going to happen. I was dialated 3cm for the last 6 weeks of each pregnancy - and knowing THAT did not help with the anxiety.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 3:03 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• If you want him/her to check ASK. Not that it means anything. It is just an opportunity to introduce bacteria.

Anonymous

• Well it depends on the doc and the mother. My midwife does not check unless the patient asks for it and her reason is two fold. Checking can introduce bacteria and tells you nothing since you can be dilated for weeks before going into labor. I went to her with my water leaking 10 days before my due date and she asked me if I wanted to be checked! I didn't at first, but she sent me to walk and come back in an hour and I did want it then. I was 5 then and went to walk a little more and then to the hospital an hour later. My son was born 3 hours after getting to the hospital with only 2 checks from the midwife. Once in her office and another when I told her I felt the urge to push. She checked to make sure I was fully dilated and said whenever you feel the need go for it.
    Anonymous

• i would be more concerned about the headaches and blurred vision...have you had your blood pressure checked?
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 3:51 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• I think they start checking around 37-38 weeks depending on the dr. I'd also be more concerned about the blurred vision and headahes. You need to go have your blood pressure checked.
    EmilyandIsaac

Answer by EmilyandIsaac at 4:54 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• with my 1st they started at 37 weeks & i had her 2 days after they checked so they did check me at 36 weeks with my 2nd since my dd was 3 weeks early & i ended up having my 2nd baby at 36 weeks :) GL
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 5:31 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• I just went for my 36 week appt. and they did not check me for dialation.
    Court128

Answer by Court128 at 6:35 PM on Mar. 18, 2010