I need help....

My son is 3 yrs old and seems to have problems with separation! Two times a month I volunteer at my daughters school to help out as a room mom, which leaves me having to find a sitter for my son. Ive tried to take him to my husbands friends house where his wife offers to watch my son. She has a 14 month old who takes naps around the time I would drop my son off... Two weeks ago I went to drop my son off and he screamed like crazy when I tried to leave, I didnt want him to wake the 14 month old up so I didnt end up leaving my son over there to be watched! Before 'giving up' I tried to bribe my son, telling him that he can have a treat when I leave or if he can be a good boy I would take him to get icecream when I got back, but nothing! He is stubborn when he wants to be! I see this as a problem for him and for me! I dont want him to always feel like he needs me in the same room... Continued below

sxc_mom_of2

Asked by sxc_mom_of2 at 2:58 PM on Mar. 18, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Around extended family he is shy and stand off ish... he takes a long time to warm up! I dont know what to do about this... Im so stressed out because I feel like he is holding me back from doing things with my daughter at her school but at the same time.... I feel like it will affect him in the long run! I dont want this to affect him! How in the world could I change the way he feels around other people? Maybe I baby him too much, I admit that I probably do... and maybe I just need to hear it, but I also need some advice... I dont want to be a bad parent, but I feel that the way I handle this, its screwing him up! I feel like Im screwing up too... Im letting him down... Please help... any advice is better than none! Thank you.....
    sxc_mom_of2

Answer by sxc_mom_of2 at 3:02 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Maybe sign him up for a class. Stay and watch, don't leave him, but don't stay too close. Start now, before it gets worse.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:07 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• I agree! Thanks!!! I just signed him up for a gymboree class... thanks for the idea!
    sxc_mom_of2

Answer by sxc_mom_of2 at 3:25 PM on Mar. 18, 2010