How did you tell your daughter about...

puberty? And What age did you tell your DD? I don't know how to go about it. My mom told me like it was going to be the end of the world when that day came. And that I was going to have to be an adult from that day forward. It was wrong to have to hear it like that. I want to do it right for my daughter. She's only 8, right now but I want to know when would be the right time and how I should tell her about it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:01 PM on Mar. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would start to talking to her about it now! I started my period when I was 9..
    Just explain to her the science of it. Tell her that the way women have babies is by their uterus, that the uterus contracts, etc. don't tell her it is the end of the world!!!!
    BUT I think this is also a GREAT time to start talking to her about sex.
    Anonymous

• I think its better to tell her about it BEFORE it happens so that she isnt scared! My mother told me by saying that its part of being a woman... I remember I was excited when I had my period... I went into the kitchen and told my mother.... 'guess what.... Im a WOMAN!!!' LOL Get her educated, before it happens and make it a happy thing... Offer to answer any questions anytime she asks... it may help!
    sxc_mom_of2

Answer by sxc_mom_of2 at 3:09 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• As long as you stress it is a
    NATURAL
    NORMAL
    HEALTHY
    life event...you'll be fine.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 3:11 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• working on this same thing. oldest dd is turning 9 next week.....AAAAAAAAH!

lol

but GOODLUCK!
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 3:15 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• When my daughter was 10 we started to talk about periods - she is 13 and still no period. most of her freinds have started though. we just recently did a talk about her changing body and pressures she is going to face with the help of a cd/workbook called "passport to purity" it's great check in out on amazon.com
    New2Florida

Answer by New2Florida at 3:17 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• There is a great book by American Girls called "The Caring and Keeping of You" and it talks about not just periods, but shaving, deodorant, hair care, face care, etc. It is a great book and is highly appropriate starting between 8 and 9 and up to middle school ages.  My daughter was 10 when she started as was I.

twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:34 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• i learned about it in 5th grade. we had a human sexuality class taught by a woman who insisted we didnt say sex we had to say breeding. it was painfully embarrassing but it was good that they taught us. many girls got their period that year and it was good for them to know about it. i would wait until she show signs that she is close to puberty before you get into that talk. or when she asks about it --- if that is sooner.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 3:37 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Start now I got my first period 3 months after my 10th bday and my dad was thewants only one home. so also buy some pads and have them on hand incase your not home whan it starts because i tried using a tampon and that was not a good idea. What girl want to tell their dad even some are scared and don't want to tell their mom.
    trachmom312

Answer by trachmom312 at 4:15 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• I also bought the American Girl book "The Care and Keeping of You" for my girl when she was 9. She just turned 10 a few days ago. She has known about periods forever, but it recently has started sinking in that it's going to happen to her. We started talking about it when she was 9. She's noticing her friends growing boobs, so we talk about that and got her one of those simple training bras. It's a gradual thing. Start now.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 4:41 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• I"m with the first post- don't wait!
    I started having mood fits when I was 8 and started menstr*ating when I was 10!
    but I would stress that it is natural- that when that time comes you can then get pregnant, and let her know what causes pregnancy.
    I would also tell her gently that sometimes women don't feel good during that time and it's natural to get cranky. I thought something was wrong with me because because it was not the time of my life- my mom made it sound like I should be so happy to embrace this miracle every month and do a happy little happy dance! then acted like there was something wrong with me if I was moody- Think she was jealous that I didn't have all the problems she and my younger sister had.
    if it was me, once she starts I would tell her what BC is, and in a few years show her how to use condoms on a banana or something-
    you can't trust guys to do it right! they have no clue!

Anonymous