How much would you pay your nephew to paint your 1 level home?

How much would you pay your 15 year old nephew to paying your ranch style home? I have no idea where to begin. I'll be providing the paint & supplies. I'll just be paying him for his time, by the job, not by the hour.

Please include the area you are responding from, as cost of living affects prices on things like this. We live in a rural area in Upstate New York. Thanks so much!

mrsderekjeter

Asked by mrsderekjeter at 3:03 PM on Mar. 18, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I would get an estimate from a professional painter in your area and offer him maybe 1/3 what they would charge.
    Anonymous

• North Georgia... if the job took around 40 hours to complete, then I would pay my teenage nephew at least $300
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 3:07 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• I should have added... my sister just paid a painter to paint two rooms. She supllied the paint and paid him $300. It took him and his helpers less than one day to paint two coats of paint in two large rooms. It looks really nice since they knew what they were doing.
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 3:09 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• my one level house is 800 square feet. My friend's one level ranch is 3,200 square feet. How big is your house?
    Anonymous

• $500? We got estimates to paint our house 7 years ago and they were $3,000 - $5,000. Personally, I would never trust a 15 year old kid to do that. You will have a big mess on your hands. The trim and the windows take some skill.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:11 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• dh is a contractor he charges $1.00 per square foot for the first coat, $.75 for second coat per square foot.

door trims and window sills are separate and cost $50 - $70 each.

thats with minor touchups of nail holes and other little spots.

those are his customer supplies the product prices - and for only one colour. its more expensive for more colours (it takes extra time to clean up equipment between colour)

we're in Canada.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 3:14 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• You know? I'm not sure how much square footage I have. Its 2 bedrooms.
    Thanks everyone!
    mrsderekjeter

Answer by mrsderekjeter at 3:47 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Why not ask his mom or him what they think is a "reasonable" amount
    DilsMommy

Answer by DilsMommy at 5:23 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• DH paid BIL $1500 to seal and paint our 2 story house plus shutters. Our house is about 2,200 sq ft. We live outside of Atlanta. DH is generous with his favorite brother though, so it was a pretty good rate.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:12 PM on Mar. 18, 2010