Lost 8lbs my first week & a half of consistently working out & dieting, now...

I keep gaining 2lbs/losing 2lbs every morning. Tomorrow morning is my next weigh in & if I'm 2lbs down again then I'll be 150 which was what I was at LAST Friday. This is very frustrating. What am I doing wrong?

I know I'm not horribly overweight at 150 now & 5'9" but I should still be losing at least a pound or two a week, right? I go to the gym 3 days a week, while there I do 30mins of aerobics & then weight training for different muscles for different days. Then on the days I don't go to the gym I keep busy by doing pilates, cleaning house, or walking. I'm on Nutrisystem, am counting calories, & drink 8 glasses of water a day, no soda.

Could this just be because I'm on my period? This is just so discouraging putting in all this work & not getting anything in return :[ Is it possible that once I'm done with my period that the weight I've possibly lost will show?

ours

Asked by ours at 3:57 PM on Mar. 18, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• Period can help you put on a bit of water weight.

But also, working out with weights and pilates can build muscle...building muscles is a great way to look better and burn more calories...but muscle weighs more than fat...

Keep it up, sometimes it takes a few weeks to get your metabolism going and your body going in one certain direction!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 4:17 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Only weigh yourself once a week or you will go crazy. Weight fluctuates and definitely if you have your period you're going to be more than you'd like... just pick one weigh in day and stick with it. I chose Wednesdays because I found Monday's weren't so accurate because I undoubtedly wasn't as good over the weekend as I should have been making me show no loss or even up a pound, waiting until my body leveled out by Wednesday works much better for me. When I used to weigh myself every day I always did horribly when trying to lose, if I weighed in and showed a loss, I was less strict eating that day, if I weighed in and showed a gain, I was ticked off and would eat more, lol.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 5:10 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• I'll try but it's hard not seeing any progress. Maybe I'm not doing enough cardio.
    ours

Answer by ours at 5:11 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Muscle weighs more than fat so as you build muscle the weight won't change much but when it does watch out!!! Woo Hoo!

Answer by admckenzie at 6:19 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• maybe you reached a Plato (not sure about the spelling) but you might have to increase your workouts or change it up. You boddy might be use to its routine. I am not a fitness expert, but this is what i was told by one when i stopped losing weight.
    alejandra559

Answer by alejandra559 at 8:31 AM on Mar. 22, 2010