ESOL-Trying to decide if I'm offended-Latino momma

Okay so, we just moved to southern Iowa from N.Y. I go into my kids new school today to register them and the lady ask me if my children will be requiring any ESOL devices. I just looked at the lady dumb founded and said 'why?' and she says 'well, I just needed to ask.' I left it go but the more I think about it the more peeved I get. I mean I don't even speak spanish. I don't think my mother speaks spanish! I thing Abuelita is the ONLY person left in our family who still know spanish. I have no accent-well maybe a NY accent but I mean what, she thinks my kids ne ESOL because I'm Puerto Rican? Is that it? If I was non-Latino would she have asked me this? Should I be this offended?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:02 PM on Mar. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• Dude...it's IOWA. (I'm Nebraskan.)

And *most* Latinos who live in this part of the country are undocumented workers and *many* don't have good English skills and their children do need ESOL.

Don't be offended.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 4:38 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Maybe they are required to ask.
    Anonymous

• What is ESOL?
    Anonymous

• English speakers of Other Languages.
    Anonymous

• No I dont think you should be offended. She had no idea and why would it be offensive anyways? I mean, if a child comes in that needs that, should they be ashamed?

You cant please everyone, b/c some people would be offended b/c they didnt ask. You know what I mean?

I just dont understand WHY this would be offensive to you? If you look like you or some of your family might speak spanish....why be offended, she doesnt know you.
    Anonymous

• She wanted your kids be placed to maybe where they should be? How is she suppose to know? I'm hispanic. If someone was to ask me that I wouldnt be offended.
    Anonymous

• Thats like me being offended if a sales person offers me some sunscreen...(we are very white, lol)

I could get offended and say...."what you think I need sunscreen, what makes you think that...uggg" "b/c I am very white?"

Its what I look like, cant change it, there are certain things that fit certain people. Its nothing to be embarrased about. I dont get it.
    Anonymous

• That's not offensive to me in any way. My husband is Puerto Rican and we have class. So we would not take offense to that. Not saying you don't have class! I don't even know you.
    Anonymous

• OP: It just struck me as odd that she asked when I had no accent or anything. IT was like oh your Latino so you must need this. I understand some do and it's great it's there but why must it be assumed? That's all it is. She took one looka t me and Assumed we needed language services.
    Anonymous

• Maybe she has a lot of people that do need them and just assumes.

People cry over too much small stuff today... makes us all seem like whiney biotches!
    Tummysmomma

Answer by Tummysmomma at 4:20 PM on Mar. 18, 2010