My 9 1/2 month old loves to hit me in the face and then laugh when I say no!!

It's the thing that makes her laugh the hardest at the moment...the word no. uh-oh....Anyone else's LO like to laugh at NO? Good thing she's so cute :)

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 4:03 PM on Mar. 18, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You're probably smiling, or others are smiling when she does it.

My son used to bite my shoulders and laugh.. ouch. haha
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 4:04 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• dd would do that- I put her on the floor on time out. just 30 seconds and a stern voice did it for us
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 4:06 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• my son thinks no is funny too.... I have no say it SUPER firm or he won't listen.... he thinks hitting ppl is funny too... when they say ouch he laughs super hard... he thinks it's so funny when ppl hurt themselves too lol kids
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 4:07 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Don't raise your voice because then it becomes a game. Lower your voice and say WE DO NOT HIT in a stern voice while holding her hand. Any hint of "I think you're so cute" in her voice will only encourage the bad behavior.
    Melissa823

Answer by Melissa823 at 4:09 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Yes, they think it is funny, and it is hard not to smile when they are laughing. BUT to curb this behavior you are going to have to not give in and smile. Try redirecting her, when she starts to hit take her hand and guide it away from your face and say "no hitting. that hurts" in a firm voice and try to keep your face expressionless (meaning do not smile). Keep being firm and redirecting her. Eventually she should get the hint.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 4:24 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• If you react to her as if it amuses you then she will not take you seriously. She will continue to do it and ignore the reprimand, as it is not really showing her she's misbehaving. If that is the case, then you need to be firm with her and not show her that it amuses you. Even if it does. You can do time outs with her if that is the case, as she IS old enough to understand when she's being punished. Be firm, consistant, and follow through.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:27 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Don't say no. It's the worst thing to do. I don't understand how a parent could ever let it come to this.

If your child hits you in the face put your child down or in some other way change the situation. Give your child to another person to hold. Don't scold or mini-lecture a 9 month old.

It's best if you can avoid saying no to your baby or toddler at all. That word should be saved for when they are ready to run in front of a train. The huge things. They should hear it 4 or 5 times a year not 400 times a day. That is the number of times a toddler hears no in the US a day.

http://www.webmd.com/parenting/features/say-no-without-saying-no

Now is the time to learn how to be an effective parent. This article should be an eye opener. I have a toddler grandson that is strong willed and into everything. I know what it's like. He lived with me when he was 9 months.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:45 PM on Mar. 18, 2010