Potty training setback?

My two-year-old son has been potty trained for a few months. He still has an accident every once in a while if he's really focused on what he's doing, but other than that, nothing. A few days ago we went out to lunch and he needed to use the potty. They had the toilets with the sensor flush and he triggered the sensor while he was still on it. He screamed for about ten minutes after the toilet flushed and hasn't used the toilet since. The question is: Do I keep insisting he try to use the toilet, or do I give him time and let him come back to the potty on his own? I really don't want to stick him back in diapers but I'm tired of pee on the floor.

flitpixie

Asked by flitpixie at 4:04 PM on Mar. 18, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• aww poor thing.. =( how old is he? will he understand that the potty at home is different from the potty somewhere else? maybe explain it to him and let him flush the toilet & say it will only flush when he wants it to. poor thing =( i hope you guys can resolve this soon
    Anonymous

• ohh he's 2... sorry.. well he should be old enough to talk down a litle, but don't force the poor guy, just remind him that the potty isthere if he needs to go & that it's not going to scare him anymore.
    Anonymous

• My oldest had that same thing happen to him. It took a couple of weeks for him to want to use the potty again and about 9 months to use a public bathroom. He would just hold it.
    I would keep helping him to use the bathroom. I just held my son while he was on the potty. If possible take him back to the bathroom he was scared in and show him the sensor thing and tell him that is why it flushed, that your toilet at home doesn't have it. That seemed to help my son. I had to hold/hug him when he went to the bathroom for about a month, then he started to go on his own again.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 4:09 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Keep taking him...and take some post it notes with you...let him draw some pics on them and tell him that the pics will keep the potty gnome from flushing it until he (your son) tells it to. Put the post it on the sensor so that it can't tell when he gets up and then when done, allow him to take it off so he knows when it will flush.

I don't understand why those things have to be so noisy, they scare me sometimes. good luck!
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 4:50 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Thank mommies. His favorite thing about using the potty is usually the part where he gets to flush it. I'll grab some post-its and see if that helps. We'll probably stay away from public ones for a while though.
    Seriously, I can't stand those toilets. It great not having to flush the toilet for the person before me but those things are scary when they go off on you.
    flitpixie

Answer by flitpixie at 5:49 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Poor thing. But NO don't let him wear a diaper. He uses the potty now, period. Accidents and regressions and little problems like this happen, but the ONLY thing you will teach him by putting him in a diaper is that the potty is optional. I was going to advise post-its, but I see that's already been suggested. Hang in there!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 10:10 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• He dug out an diaper and begged to wear it. I gave in and he had it on for about an hour, then took it off and went back to using the potty. We haven't had an accident since Wednesday night. We haven't tried public obviously. I'm going to give this a couple weeks before we try that again but it seems like he's over being afraid of the toilet at home. He's going to Nana's tonight so we'll see how he does with their toilet.
    flitpixie

Answer by flitpixie at 12:52 PM on Mar. 19, 2010